• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

I was a communist for a long time before I abandoned it. Not because the ideals are bad, but because I refuse to be within the same category of Chairman Mao.

Likewise, I refuse to be compared to the people of this forum.

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, 30 April 2015 - 10:11 PM.

• FRX23, DerMax, -Tj- and 3 others like this

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

What if those who have such accounts, play in a far more relaxed nature then on their primary accout eh? Or ones who've put some money onto those accounts? Would it still be fair to take something away from someone who paid? Or maybe they've reached a point in the skill ceiling like Dave where they're completely alone at that fridged top? Making a new account lets them still play the game, it's better to keep the players you got then alienate them for trying to find a way to coninue enjoying a game they like.

tTIViUr.png

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

You said you think making a smurf is for a "giggle" - I don't believe this is why they're made.

I have reason to believe that they're made because the top-tier players have such a high MMR that they can't play any matches - they are one of the best at their favourite game but can't play it. Smurf accounts rose in numbers during the last 9 months because of all the people leaving due to lack of devs. Now that we have devs again, we get more players, which means eventually more high-tier players - which means more high-tier matches - which means less smurfs. People also do it for the free 400/500 MC (It was 400 when I joined - apparently it was increased?) you get from playing after an hour.

TL;DR - Smurfs generally are high tier players who can't play bcuz MMR and I think the numbers of smurfs will go down now that we have devs and the game it attracting new players again. 

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

As long as Hawken MM has so many restrictions and a dumb thinking of "balance", smurf accoutns are NEEDED for higher tier players. Too high MMR = no rooms available for higher tier players. 

I posted two pics of USE and EU beeing full of servers but NONE of them was available due to "fitness range". So we smurf. (I still don't smurf but I honestly think of starting now if this is not fixed within a week or two)

Smurfs are game destroying and I agree on that in every aspect, but what shall we do? Hm?

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

It certainly isn't a black and white topic, Smurfing isn't good but it isn't inherently bad either.

Spoiler

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

So what you're saying is that the MMR system doesn't work. Easiest solution - Move away from it. Like instantly.

Smurfs are my main priority, and the MMR system causes it. I understand that not every smurf is vicious, but it is the greatest threat to new player retention. No, I'm not saying alienate the original players, I'm saying make sure they can't destroy new ones from enjoying this game too.

Old players have a much higher chance of staying with this game, especially after it nearly dying out. With no offense, I'm not worried about you all. You're not my issue.

My issue are individuals who will gladly join a low-tier match and play like their fighting 2400 range MMR. MMR has been my enemy from the start, and I'll be sure to really dig into details on that, but please, for the love god, do not allow people you know to do that. It'll hurt the game a whole hell of a lot more than losing even one upper tier player.

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

So what you're saying is that the MMR system doesn't work. Easiest solution - Move away from it. Like instantly.

Smurfs are my main priority, and the MMR system causes it. I understand that not every smurf is vicious, but it is the greatest threat to new player retention. No, I'm not saying alienate the original players, I'm saying make sure they can't destroy new ones from enjoying this game too.

Old players have a much higher chance of staying with this game, especially after it nearly dying out. With no offense, I'm not worried about you all. You're not my issue.

My issue are individuals who will gladly join a low-tier match and play like their fighting 2400 range MMR. MMR has been my enemy from the start, and I'll be sure to really dig into details on that, but please, for the love god, do not allow people you know to do that. It'll hurt the game a whole hell of a lot more than losing even one upper tier player.

Problem is you can shout at them till your blue in the face and it won't change the fact that they can simply opt to mute you. Then continue on pubstomping.

tTIViUr.png

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I'm not able to do anything about them. I don't know any of them... Well... I mean other than you in this thread. But if you're going to tell me that some of you don't have them as friends, then I'm afraid I must call that a lie.

I'm sorry, I'm really not meaning to be insulting, but this is not a small issue. This is bigger than mech balance, new player mechs, connectivity issues... This out ranks, in my eyes, every foreseeable issue for a long time.

There are a number of easy fixes, implementation of a voting system to kick players, or temporarily (30 minutes or less) ban. The removal of the MMR system is the easiest. I'll gladly play against all of you, I enjoy challenge far more than I enjoy winning Siege 3000-0. But that has to be something the player decides, not something forced on them by a system that has probably never worked.

I know it's a bigger issue, and I'm also bringing up very valid points. Some smurf just to be intentional asshats, those are usually the ones that mute and ignore any cries for a fair game. Also I'd love to see the MMR system abolished as well but i don't see them doing that honestly.

• KilleR_OrigiNs likes this

tTIViUr.png

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Concur on that "ditch MMR" concept. Even if I know I will get ripped to shreds, it would be nice to have a no-restrictions entry into matches where I could maybe sharpen up a little without having to hunt down someone to pvp in private servers, or wait until War Wednesday. Simply label servers as Noob, Mid, Advanced, or Deity level, and let it go at that. If noob stomping is still a concern, keep the Noob level server restricted, but don't bar me from the higher servers!

edit: and I seriously doubt I'm the only skrub-level player that feels this way, too.

Edited by em1o, 07 April 2015 - 03:07 AM.

• claisolais, Hijinks_The_Turtle and hoghead like this

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

You're very right, your points are valid and difficult to come up with solutions to. It really involves a changeover of a lot of base systems, and I'm sure Reloaded are working hard on it, but I feel like it has a lot to do with the community itself too.

I mean, I'm 2000 range MMR, I'm not the highest, but I'm not low down either... I still see the wreckage, and the misery for new players. I don't feel like they have a big enough of a voice, mostly because they call out balance issues for mechs that are solid.

I'm just trying to raise awareness for an issue that we as a group need to begin working on, and hopefully, it'll take traction. I'd love for nothing more than the Developers to not have to worry about this as much as they do now.

I know how you feel, I'm in that bracket too, Teedering between 2100 and 2200 and even at this point it's hard to find matches. The greater majority of players are in the 1300~1600 range.

A vote to kick button would help with a lot of problems currently plaguing the game when it comes to abrasive smurfs but it wouldn't solve all of them.

Usually when MM decides to put me in a low ball match, I often opt for a mech that's not in my starting line up, but would get new players to do a double take as to say "what he heck was that?", thats usually the job for the good ol' battle turkey.

• KilleR_OrigiNs likes this

tTIViUr.png

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, 30 April 2015 - 10:12 PM.

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
A simple thing that could help is to simply not display the lowest ranked servers in the server browser. That way players who intentionally try to join them would not succeed.
I don't see any other way of getting rid of smurfs than somehow making the rank system more strict to a point where it can track the users skill level based on very few matches, except that this would present another problem when a honest newbie does very well in their first matches and the game throws them in the higher ranks.
So i guess there is no real solution to this that would 100% eliminate all smurfs.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I do that as well, good time for some practice with Sir D'esalote' (Dies a lot.)

Also, I don't know what a battle turkey is, but I assume it must be as epic as it's name entails.

https://community.pl...e-battleturkey/

That'll explain what the Battle Turkey is, he doesn't get a whole lot of love. </3

tTIViUr.png

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

• Interrobang87 likes this

Jakyll

Jakyll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Does the current matchmaking system take a player's accuracy into account?

I think that's one of the better aspects in Hawken to distinguish between veterans/skilled players and beginners pretty quickly.

I ground my way up to lvl 30 by now, but according to ScrimBot I'm still around 1600 mmr so I'm afraid that I'm not that skilled as many others in Hawken.

Nevertheless, I feel sorry for every low level player I kill, because I'm afraid he will think things like "those fuzzy bunnying high lvl players can't do anything else but to ruin my games!" since my pilot level and loadout are shown in the "who-killed-me-frame" :ermm:

Edited by Jakyll, 07 April 2015 - 03:26 AM.

• EM1O likes this

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I read the first line and was like "I'll never call it anything other than that ever again."

Aye, G2 is love G2 is life. All hail the battle turkey.

But on a serious note, MMR system needs to go stat. Got up 2 hours ago wanting to play some Hawken but low and behind, wake up to the new regional thing, and even that didn't change the ever unpolite empty server list. Even after 2 full hours, still very empty.

tTIViUr.png

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

So..

Spoiler

What am I supposed to do without a smurf here? :wallbash:

• SatelliteJack likes this

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Another huge issue for players. I don't have that issue oddly, it seems I'm always able to find at least one match of some form, but for most it's a big issue there as well.

The report will be a sweet slice of anger few people will ever see in me.

Right now I have 1 match open that has 1 person in it. Not even enough to get the ball rolling, So bored I'm actually trying to hold a conversation with scrimbot(yes i know it won't get me anywhere).

tTIViUr.png

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
I'm putting this offer out. Any high tier player having trouble finding a match can add me to their fl. Message me in game and I'll join your match/party. I will come up there and get smoked so I can get better.
  • EM1O and KilleR_OrigiNs like this

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Tell it I'm coming for it. Let him know my name as death incarnate. And I'll be asking him what my MMR score is the second I get in, and if it's not back UP TO 2000 SCRIMBOT I SWEAR TO ALL THAT IS HOLY THAT I WILL ask you to polite DIE IN A FIRE.

Or hi. Either or.

He doen't talk much, but his silence speaks volumes.

• Jakyll, Interrobang87 and KilleR_OrigiNs like this

tTIViUr.png

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

It sucks people chase MMR so hard. The whole smurf issue could simply be solved once the player population increases with the implementation of leader boards and ranked / unranked server options. Let the leaderboard chasers chase in ranked server, and when they want to relax, have a drink, kick back, hit up the unranked servers. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, BUT, none of this can really happen until the player pops can sustain splitting the player base with ranked /  unranked servers. Such struggle.

• Interrobang87 and EM1O like this

No crew

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Hey, know what's a much, much more polite way of going about this that doesn't make you look like an ignorant child throwing a temper tantrum?

You fuzzing think the majority of smurfs do it for a laugh?

Bull.

GTFO of here and come back when you're not being massively presumptuous or entitled.

It sucks people chase MMR so hard. The whole smurf issue could simply be solved once the player population increases with the implementation of leader boards and ranked / unranked server options. Let the leaderboard chasers chase in ranked server, and when they want to relax, have a drink, kick back, hit up the unranked servers. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, BUT, none of this can really happen until the player pops can sustain splitting the player base with ranked /  unranked servers. Such struggle.

Buddy, that is how I normally play. If I was chasing MMR, I wouldn't have servers. There are people just plain better than me who aren't trying and get no games.

• EM1O and KilleR_OrigiNs like this

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Chill, buddy. 

No crew

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

This linked to the greatest problem this game have ever had, the balance, not just between good players and bad players.

MMR is doing well but it has one limit, we can't find a game, even we do, sometimes it is hard like hell--I am just here to have some fun.

I turned to coop, regardless new guys ruining my fun there, the coop just don't have enough changes, after 500 times of playing it, less fun, it will become.

I must confess. I have smurf accounts, not that because I want to wreck new guys, I will feel bad about it. I just want to have some easy fun that could have more unpredictable than the coop modes we had already. Like passive playing style, support role, etc. (But OCD is pushing me to the end of hell, damn it. I just cant stopping fight with the very good guys I encountered--If I can. .....They are just better than the rest guys in the server, mostly.) 

Party system, is one system ruin the balance like hell. Imagin this--the opposite may have three good player joined game, and we got some individual joined to balance the number of heads--turns out we got a noob, this case, could happen at ANY level. --They just want to have some teamwork-easy-fun. 

For those smurfs just enjoy wrecking new guys, we actually can't do anything about it. They will always find a way to have their fun.

For those who have reason to do so, give them an alternative to serve their desires (Go ask them why they do smurf ! And do something with it, help them not fight them.), so that only the problem with them can be solved.(It will never 100% solved though.)                                   --I hope I am using English right

Smurf is all to blame! --Because it stomps.

Stomp or being stomped. Many case of a good game was because of a super guy or two carried a poor team.

Its Just like two sides of the coin, try balance them. 

Edited by claisolais, 17 May 2015 - 02:07 AM.

• wolfrock likes this

Ic6j9zJ.png

HorseHeadProphet

HorseHeadProphet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Kickvote button. If someone is in there ruining the match, stomping everyone, with a score 400 points higher than the next player, give the players in the server the power to oust that person. 

and yeah the mmr thing needs some work, being unable to play because you're too good at the game is absurd.

The Hawken forum's a forum, but it's like the only one you get yelled at for using.

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hey, know what's a much, much more polite way of going about this that doesn't make you look like an ignorant child throwing a temper tantrum?

You fuzzing think the majority of smurfs do it for a laugh?

Bull.

GTFO of here and come back when you're not being massively presumptuous or entitled.

Buddy, that is how I normally play. If I was chasing MMR, I wouldn't have servers. There are people just plain better than me who aren't trying and get no games.

Someone clearly woke up on the wrong side of the bed while having a hangover.

tTIViUr.png

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Smurfing is not the problem. Pub stomping is the problem. If crafty goes into a server on his umpteenth smurf and bottom frags because he's only using EOC repeater I can't really see a problem with that. At the same time lots of these super high level players can dumpster a 2300 lobby just as well as any.

It baffles me that so many players complain about not getting into games. Even when I was knocking on 2500 MMR I could still find matches, though sometimes I had to leave my home region.

• claisolais likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Kickvote button. If someone is in there ruining the match, stomping everyone, with a score 400 points higher than the next player, give the players in the server the power to oust that person. 

and yeah the mmr thing needs some work, being unable to play because you're too good at the game is absurd.

Vote can be unfair, too.

Kick out the leader of the other team, how Will them react? Okay kick out one from the own team? That's balance and fun? It should only happen on the case of roof shooter. 400 points! If you have a good team, the other team just have retention issue--you got switched by the system for balance issue, and you got kicked.

The real bad guys are still out there, and they might have their own plan to avoid those precautions.

Edited by claisolais, 07 April 2015 - 06:19 AM.

Ic6j9zJ.png

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

BZFlag had a good system: player-member server admins (yeah, i remember what happened in the last Forum, but SomeThing needs doing) would be somewhere in the game house, and contactable ingame for ban requests, etc. 51% majority vote/6 or more voters got a kick/ban.

Because: there are toxic bastrids out there that even good gameplaying rules won't affect.

Green-canned highly caffeinated soft drink, for example?

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Ignorance is bliss. 

https://community.pl...how-to-improve/

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Don't Stop. Believin'

Hold on to that feel-eh-eh-ehn

Spoiler

Edited by craftydus, 07 April 2015 - 08:19 AM.

• Interrobang87 likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Back in my day, we just got good.  UT99 didn't have no handholding.

Casuals.

Seriously, though: While I understand that matchmaking provides new players a smoother learning curve, I can't help but cringe every time one acts as though playing someone better is an offense against humanity.

• RedVan, wolfrock and CraftyDus like this

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Ignorance is bliss. 

https://community.pl...how-to-improve/

Liking the new avatar, Dave

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

don't bar me from the higher servers!

edit: and I seriously doubt I'm the only skrub-level player that feels this way, too.

The mmr locking is the only thing that ever made me come close to quitting Hawken. It's better now that I can get into a 2300 lobby, but it's still a huge inconvenience surprisingly frequently.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
"Smurfs must go..."

Cry me a fuzzy bunnyng river.

Posts like this make me want to smurf even more

Edited by RedVan, 07 April 2015 - 08:46 AM.

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted. 

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, 30 April 2015 - 10:13 PM.

• claisolais likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users