- - - - - new players guide guides mechs game modes weapons intro videos

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

OvertoneJones

OvertoneJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi, so to start this post, I want to tell a little about myself: I've been an avid gamer for about 10 years now.  I started playing Hawken back in 2012 or so, maybe earlier. I loved it then and played it a LOT... Until my laptop got stolen. After that I had a fair chunk of time where I was not playing video games for an obvious reason: No hardware (i cri evri tym.)

Recently, I got a new desktop and got back into gaming and one of the first games I decided to get back into was Hawken. Getting back into the game with a fresh account (embarrassing/old account names/aliases, ya know?), I remembered what a grind it was to get new mechs and I also remembered that though Hawken doesn't necessarily have a steep learning curve, it does have a few many things about it that you should know, but aren't at all obvious. 

Now, to cut to the chase I want to make guides for new players or even intermediate players about the straight basics of the game, the etiquette and strategies of different game modes, playing different classes and mechs, for specific weapons, and most importantly, team playing. Now, these guides are going to be from my own experience, not from other forum posts or videos.

I trust that I'm well versed enough in this game to teach people how to play it, and I've already done so for a few people in game. Now, the reason for this post, I want opinions from the community. 

1. What do you guys think? Do you Like this idea?
  2. Which topics should I hit first in the guide? (First request? Order?)
  3. Do you guys have any other things or mechanics you would like to see guides for?

I'm always open to suggestions from the community, so don't be afraid to dropem here. I'll also likely be uploading straight gameplay to youtube, maybe montages, just straight funnies, or challenges (no C repair, inverted [or in my case non inverted] games, etc). Also open to suggestions there.

Cheers

OTJ

• eth0 likes this

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

For 1, I can't really say anything. There's guides up already and, to be honest, I'm not sure anyone who has seen similar vids can really justify someone else's tutorial vids if it's just saying stuff other people have said unless you can add something that would draw people to it.

OvertoneJones

OvertoneJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Again, none of the content in my guides would be from other peoples vids. I think there is a lot missed be new players in hawken that other guides leave out cause it's "assumed" things.

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

A fresh perspective is great. Hawken doesn't have the most forgiving learning curve or matchmaking, so anything for new players helps. I'd definitely watch and share.

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

WHat's your mmr? I hate to be that guy but if it isn't over 2200 then most of what you think you know is probably wrong. 

• Erzunterweltler likes this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

OvertoneJones

OvertoneJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

1625 right now. This is a newer account. I have more experience with this game than just this account.

There are things like basics of siege that many new players don't know, so I wanna help them (and also experienced players who end up on unfavorable teams) out.

Edited by OvertoneJones, 11 August 2015 - 06:24 PM.

OvertoneJones

OvertoneJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

A fresh perspective is great. Hawken doesn't have the most forgiving learning curve or matchmaking, so anything for new players helps. I'd definitely watch and share.

Thank you! :D

Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

In my opinion, all is well in the game with training. It is only necessary to add a section in the training: the description (explanation) matchmaking bases - though this is more than training. Why is that? because it is best to add an "explanatory statements from Laila" (when it clarifies the points in the game menu which is which).

Let us face it. People have become too lazy. The current generation of players do not want to study the "how to play". They are so helpless that sometimes not even able to just sit down and read a description of the subject. They (newcomers) want them to just say how stomping other players.

http://www.hawken.ru- ???? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? (Website of the Russian community)

http://ru.hawken.wikia.com - ??????? ????????? ?? ???? (Russian Wikipedia HAWKEN)

http://vk.com/hawken - ???????? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? ? ?? (social network VK)

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

In my opinion, all is well in the game with training. It is only necessary to add a section in the training: the description (explanation) matchmaking bases - though this is more than training. Why is that? because it is best to add an "explanatory statements from Laila" (when it clarifies the points in the game menu which is which).

Let us face it. People have become too lazy. The current generation of players do not want to study the "how to play". They are so helpless that sometimes not even able to just sit down and read a description of the subject. They (newcomers) want them to just say how stomping other players.

I don't want to discount my generation as lazy, because we're definitely that. But hear me out...

Hawken's tutorial leaves much to be desired. Does anyone remember the old training map? Was it really so bad it had to be replaced, not updated?

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Again, none of the content in my guides would be from other peoples vids. I think there is a lot missed be new players in hawken that other guides leave out cause it's "assumed" things.

Not saying you are taking content from other people. I'm saying you need to know what ground hasn't be covered too well.

• Meraple likes this

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Not saying you are taking content from other people. I'm saying you need to know what ground hasn't be covered too well.

Positioning

Corner play

Alpha Strikes

Ability Usage

Internals (Which ones suit which playstyles)

Items (Ditto)

Those are a few off the top of my head, some may have been covered before but as far as I know not in depth.

• OvertoneJones likes this

Spoiler

Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

You understand that this mode of learning? It is designed to teach the basics of the game. And the current mode is pretty good to deal with it. In fact, I would add one thing this regime. Mandatory match against bots TDM after training.

Positioning

Corner play

At the end of training, when you play a duel with the bot - it strongly reminds Laila (positioning and use of hideouts).

Ability Usage

Do you want to dump on the a beginner information on all abilities of all mechs? What for? Answer Why would a man who has not yet learned to play all of this information? There is a description of abilities and when people will choose to buy a new mech, he will carefully read all the information about mechs (or read the manual).

Internals (Which ones suit which playstyles)

Items (Ditto)

Similarly. To select items / internals better to use the guide on the players. Add it meaningless training, a beginner just simply puzzled by all of this information. The man did not play the game and 1 hour and you want to torture him training.

As an experiment, go through training again. Then write what you do not like it.
You have explained how to move? The mechanics of the game? Fuel consumption? Learn how to use weapons and Dodge?
What do you need?

http://www.hawken.ru- ???? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? (Website of the Russian community)

http://ru.hawken.wikia.com - ??????? ????????? ?? ???? (Russian Wikipedia HAWKEN)

http://vk.com/hawken - ???????? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? ? ?? (social network VK)

kaiserschmarrn_

kaiserschmarrn_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

I don't want to bash your credibility, but there are ALOT of very good players (2500+) that will scour your post. This includes me; I am always ready to tear a post apart. Like Merl said, I don't want to be that guy, but knowing your MMR(after it levels out) could be really useful to gauge your credibility. 

Also, the HAWKEN meta has evolved significantly since when you were playing; Things are sure to be different now.

Edited by meatmissile_, 12 August 2015 - 02:17 AM.

Erzunterweltler

Erzunterweltler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

While having a look at your profile, I would advice you to first acquaint yourself with the game a little bit more before trying to teach other players something. A great way for doing so is attending at Community Events, such as War Wednesday or Ultra-Violent Wednesday, depending on the region you play in. Also, you can follow tournaments/leagues as they can give you an insight into the metagame. Otherwise the risk is high that you'll spread false information, as Merl has already said.

As Panzer has already mentioned, we already have got detailed tutorials for beginners, such as the ones from SoldierHobbes, Bergwein works on some, too, and there are even more pilots out there who make those kinds of videos.

I would like to hear what exactly is that you think the mentioned players left out in their tutorials.

However, most players watch montages and some also watch simple gameplay videos, so that would probably be a good way for you to start.

Edited by (KDR) Erzunterweltler, 12 August 2015 - 02:50 AM.

• Bergwein likes this

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

You understand that this mode of learning? It is designed to teach the basics of the game. And the current mode is pretty good to deal with it. In fact, I would add one thing this regime. Mandatory match against bots TDM after training.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm not talking about the training that is in the game, I'm giving some examples of things that haven't been covered in other guides that the op can use in his guides.

Spoiler

Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Sorry for the little misunderstanding. Just some people often try to to scold the training games. And I do not understand why. After all's easier to say aloud that do not like and ask it to fix it ...

Of course, I support the gaming community to have detailed guidance on various aspects of the game. But in a game is often an unnecessary amount of information.

Edited by Anichkov3, 12 August 2015 - 04:05 AM.

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

If you have the time and motivation there's no harm. In the absolute worst case everything you write is wrong and you learn a bunch from all the people who come to correct you.

• MechFighter5e3bf9, Merl61, dracodraco100 and 1 other like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

The current developers have mentioned from an earlier update that quote, "New players feel like they can't compete.  And, yes, there's a pretty nasty learning curve."

There are both brief and very in-depth guides that have been written some time ago by various players. Even though there is certain parity between them, and because they are written by differing community members—which inevitably breeds differences—they don't seem to promote a solid foundation. Most players don't notice that, but when they are given a strong foundation to learn from, they will excel in not just performance, but in numbers. If in-game tutorials are done right, there wouldn't be problems with the current learning curve.

Such an effort that improves the tutorial system would likely boost the lower end of the spectrum, if approached and implemented correctly. To that end though, it's certainly no easy task establishing a de facto standard for unofficial tutorials/guides. Even if it is accepted by the community when published, it will only succeed if there is attention and popularity driving it; it's likely going to require official acceptance from the developers themselves.

Ultimately, I'm sure Reloaded will eventually update and refresh the built-in tutorial system, as is evident by their admission to the undesired state of Hawken's learning curve.

TpsOr7F.png

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

i just wish the quitters could  just seek out a goal other than highest on scoreboard in hawken then have fun at that and get good along the way. i used to upon starting hawken mainly barricare emp my teamates i disl;iked, or randomly just to provoke someone and had alot of fun trolling it took a long time to get used to the feel as crisp as i have now and i find the movement to be far the biggest aspect you got to learn above any other fps. in many games you enter a room aim and shoot at their heads but in hawken you got to learn a sort of ballet and it changes per mech, per internals and greatly per your opponent

i suppose i mean new players who enjoy guides great we have them but most dont, most people play their own style i met a guy today who only turret modes in rocketeer, another who only snips these guys enjoy it though it would bore me to death, i started raiding as a first mech and fully ranked it and all its items and my pilot level before getting bored and finaly "wanted" to try other mechs and learn them one by one i assimilated hawken at that point of wanting to change. not wanting to change so i can win but change to break manotany 

Edited by MechFighter5e3bf9, 28 October 2015 - 11:11 AM.

asipo

asipo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

i often see newbie getting crush by better player

im suggesting the game to encourage they to play co-op TDM VS bot rather than normal TDM

Join Hawken asia Facebook group : here

Mech idea : Marauder (B-class), Raptor (A-class)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new players, guide, guides, mechs, game modes, weapons, intro, videos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users