117 replies to this topic

M1lkshake

M1lkshake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

John-McClane.jpg

TPG is ecstatic to announce its fourth cup, hosted by yours truly! It will be held on SUNDAY, February 28th , at 1pm EST. All participants must meet in the Hawken Teamspeak at this date and time.

TPG’s cups, unlike the regular season, take place over the course of a day. Anybody can join or create a team, and teams do not necessarily have to match up with teams from the regular season. We’re also aiming to have some Twitch streams running during the cup, so that even those who aren’t participating can watch.

While the cup is all-inclusive, you must make an account on the TPG website in order to participate. CraftyDus was kind enough to provide instructions here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cup Awards:

(Still waiting, thanks all for your patience)

Crafty's Boon:

CraftyDus has been kind enough to buy 9 copies of this simulator bundle for the top 3 teams:

Woodcutter Simulator 2013
Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming
Professional Farmer 2014
Professional Farmer 2014 - Good Ol’ Times DLC
Professional Farmer 2014 - America DLC
Agricultural Simulator 2013 - Steam Edition
Skyscraper Simulator
Airport Simulator 2014
Towtruck Simulator 2015
Mining & Tunneling Simulator
Warehouse and Logistics Simulator
Warehouse and Logistics Simulator: Hell's Warehouse DLC

Thank you Crafty!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RULES

If you have questions about the rules, you may send me a message at any time. Not knowing the rules will not gain you any leniency if you break them. Breaking them results in your team's possible disqualification.

CLASS/ITEM RESTRICTIONS: This cup’s game mode will be Team Deathmatch, with teams of three people each. Standard TPG restrictions apply for internals and items (that is, no repair kits, extractors, composite armor, or scanners), but class restrictions will be set at no more than two of any class (CBA, CCB is okay, CCC is not). You cannot have more than one unique mech (No double brawler, for example). Additionally, radar will be disabled. 

Self-destructing, without granting the other team a point, is not allowed. If you self-destruct (even on accident), the other team has the right to ask for an additional point to be counted towards their score at the end of the round. Final decisions will be made by TPG Admins only.

LEAGUE FORMAT: This cup will follow the Swiss-system formatThis is a no-elimination system that will shorten the cup's total length considerably, while allowing for every team to play the same amount of matches (or nearly so).  Additionally, teams will find themselves matched against similarly-skilled teams as the tournament progresses. Each match is still best two out of three.

SUBSTITUTES: There are no "rostered" player substitutes. If a substitute is needed, the sub must be accepted by the opposing team. There will be less leniency towards substitutes the further the cup has progressed. I must also be notified of all substitutions before the match begins.

REQUIRED RECORDING: All matches are required to be recorded by every participant. In addition, every game played requires two screenshots:

1. At the beginning of the game, take a screenshot of the scoreboard when all participants have entered the game, with at least one mech model within view.

2. At the end of the game, take a screenshot of the final scoreboard with all player names listed.

If you are asked to provide a recording/screenshot and cannot, your team can be disqualified.

PARTICIPATIONPlayers cannot join more than one team, and players from teams that have been eliminated are not allowed to substitute in for non-eliminated teams.

TPG Admins will deal with infractions on a case by case basis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Signing-up

Team leaders should post here confirming their team name and members. If you have an existing team you would like reactivated from a previous cup, PM Nept, CraftyDus, or me. You are still required to post here.

Players planning on streaming the event should also post here with their twitch URL.

Xacius, Nept, and Alabastier will be shoutcasting select matches on the TPG Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/tpghawken

THE LAST DAY TO SIGN UP WILL BE THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 25TH. MAKE SURE TO REGISTER YOUR TEAM ON THE TPG WEBSITE (See Crafty's post if you need instructions, or pm me if you need help).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free Agents:

ttownpedro

Ironwood

Solostarian

Current Teams:

ALPHA STRIKE A POSE

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

cbrxx

HoneyBoomBoom

AUTOMOMS

DerMax

Meraple

Kopra

HAWKEN VIRUS WAS AN INSIDE JYOB

LEmental

x9x8x7x

Kamile

KNEEL TO ODIN

Counterlogicman

PeacecraftSLD

Draigun

MIDWESTERN BLASPHEMY

ILikeJesusAndWisc

wischatesjesus

devotion

NUDISTO BEACH

TheButtSatisfier

Ganjamon

AKBudder

PROSK'S BEST REKT

Crockrocket
Coldform
Roarschack

RAL ARMS

Amidatelion

Luaq

Robscancer

TEAM URANUS

HOHOHOSANTA

_XD_

Woods13

THE DELTA 9'S

_incitatus

eth0
OdinTheWise

Current Players Planning on Streaming:

Watch it on TPG Hawken's Twitch Channel!

Crafty - twitch.tv/craftydus

Edited by M1lkshake, 27 February 2016 - 07:03 PM.

• KejiGoto, DerMax, Nept and 10 others like this

"How do you avoid these cognitive biases? First, be aware of them. Recognize that we're all susceptible. Second, reconsider your first instinct whenever you've performed poorly. Often, these first thoughts revolve around preserving self-esteem and distancing yourself from responsibility. Always consider poor performances your fault, as that places them within your realm of control." - Nept

The Automatic Mustangs

TPG Master Thread <-- Interested in competitive Hawken? See here.

Credit for the Automatic Mustang logo goes to Breadeffect.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Any fancy/testing rules?

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Still debating them.  Won't be anything extravagant, though, and wanted to get word out asap.

LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Can anyone tell me why class restriction is a thing is this format?

Is it to just stop having 3C mechs?  Is that 100% confirmed to be the optimal comp?

Are there people arguing that 3B or 3A to be over powered? (I doubt it)

I personally think class restriction should be removed unless we get all 3Cs teams.  And if that happens, just limit each team to 2C mechs and allow 3B and 3A teams.

hkn_sign_lgbt_by_neraste-d8oyzga.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

On a Sunday you say? That means I can employ the rekt strategy that I wasn't able to last time. 

In other words I don't have jack sh*t to do that day so I'll be getting blitzed 

• coldform, Nept, eth0 and 3 others like this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

"Live Free or Try Hard"

c7NJRa2.gif

• coldform and eth0 like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Is it to just stop having 3C mechs?  Is that 100% confirmed to be the optimal comp?

I personally think class restriction should be removed unless we get all 3Cs teams.  And if that happens, just limit each team to 2C mechs and allow 3B and 3A teams.

I think the format is good as it is, that is why there is no arguement towards it, given how well the last competition went, it actually felt more competitive that way. It gives the team strengths and weakness on both sides for each team so that nothing is OP.

• DemitronPrime likes this

KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

This should be fun, thought it was gonna be that 1v1 cup that was recently talked about but oh well. 

Look forward to see who competes this time around, some pretty good matches last time. 

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

On a Sunday you say? That means I can employ the rekt strategy that I wasn't able to last time. 

In other words I don't have jack sh*t to do that day so I'll be getting blitzed 

THEN I GET TO BE THE SOBER ONE THIS TIME

srsly, I can't drink for this one.  I paid for my binge for three days afterward.

But I am def down to get my ass kicked again!

• crockrocket likes this

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

I think the format is good as it is, that is why there is no arguement towards it, given how well the last competition went, it actually felt more competitive that way. It gives the team strengths and weakness on both sides for each team so that nothing is OP.

This comment makes no sense.

What does "towards it" mean? In favor of class restriction?

How do you know it felt more competitive? Have you tried these rules WITHOUT class restriction?

Teams always will have strengths and weaknesses. How does having mismatch classes effect that?

My argument is there was never something OP and therefore it's a needless rule.

• crockrocket likes this

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Maybe start it a bit earlier, so that EU teams can participate for funsies?

• coldform, crockrocket, Meraple and 2 others like this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I'm on West Coast US and starting earlier wouldn't be a problem for me, so I'm in favor of this.
  • DerMax and Meraple like this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

JesusHatesWisc

JesusHatesWisc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

YOLO

^ 3v3 strats

• Kindos7 likes this

lwY3QRd.jpg

M1lkshake

M1lkshake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

We may be able to do this in the future. How much earlier?

"How do you avoid these cognitive biases? First, be aware of them. Recognize that we're all susceptible. Second, reconsider your first instinct whenever you've performed poorly. Often, these first thoughts revolve around preserving self-esteem and distancing yourself from responsibility. Always consider poor performances your fault, as that places them within your realm of control." - Nept

The Automatic Mustangs

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

We may be able to do this in the future. How much earlier?

Two hours should do the trick.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Got it.  Milkshake, schedule the thing 2 hours later than originally planned.

• KejiGoto likes this

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Got it.  Milkshake, schedule the thing 2 hours later than originally planned.

• Nept, Aregon and eth0 like this

M1lkshake

M1lkshake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

The restriction is there to encourage variety in gameplay. Any given team that chooses 3 C's could, in theory, "turtle up" in a corner of the map and just play defensively, with a very large health pool. Another team that chooses 3 A's could, inversely, constantly outrun or hide from the other team for the duration of the match (after gaining the lead).

With the given class restrictions, the 3 C's team is forced to adopt a B class into their strategy, lowering the health pool and weakening (if only slightly) this strategy. The 3 A's team would be forced to use a B class also for their strategy, giving a stronger chance that the B class would get caught by the enemy while running away.

We're not trying to say that either of these strategies are "the meta" or the greatest strategies, or that it would be impossible for an opposing team to counter it - that's an argument we're not interested in discussing. We just find both of these strategies very boring to watch, so we keep the class restriction to discourage them. We would rather see teams forcing others to engage, or move around the map, and the opposing team finding ways to adapt.

Edited by M1lkshake, 14 February 2016 - 08:23 AM.

• KejiGoto, eth0 and cavefishes like this

The Automatic Mustangs

M1lkshake

M1lkshake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

How many people would mind if we moved the start time back two hours?

This is an open question largely directed at the US/Canadian participants.

The Automatic Mustangs

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

CANADA RULES!!

Edited by Nept: Ultra Lord of the God-Kings, 14 February 2016 - 08:34 AM.

• LEmental and OdinTheWise like this

LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

The restriction is there to encourage variety in gameplay. Any given team that chooses 3 C's could, in theory, "turtle up" in a corner of the map and just play defensively, with a very large health pool. Another team that chooses 3 A's could, inversely, constantly outrun or hide from the other team for the duration of the match (after gaining the lead).

With the given class restrictions, the 3 C's team is forced to adopt a B class into their strategy, lowering the health pool and weakening (if only slightly) this strategy. The 3 A's team would be forced to use a B class also for their strategy, giving a stronger chance that the B class would get caught by the enemy while running away.

We're not trying to say that either of these strategies are "the meta" or the greatest strategies, or that it would be impossible for an opposing team to counter it - that's an argument we're not interested in discussing. We just find both of these strategies very boring to watch, so we keep the class restriction to discourage them. We would rather see teams forcing others to engage, or move around the map, and the opposing team finding ways to adapt.

I understand what you are getting at, but I still don't buy it. Unless there has been extensive play testing of it, this is all just a theory.

I would argue that with class restrictions, there is less verity in the team comps.

I'm also a firm believer that it's better to have less rules. I've found class restriction cumbersome. I enjoy playing B class mechs and many of the people I play with play B mechs. I hate that Assault/Raider are the B mechs to pick over any other. The bruiser/predator are rarely picked, but if there wasn't class restriction, they might be picked more.

It's also a hassle to switch up mechs if need be. I would have to wait for people to switch off a class to play that class.

This tournament is for fun yeah? These rules hinder legit play more so than stop undesirable play. If I wanted to run/hide the whole game, class restriction wouldn't stop me. In 3v3 if I have a Scout/Infil/Pred team, it would be very hard for the other team to get a kill.

I ask that you at least put to vote for opening up 3A and 3B.

Edited by LEmental, 14 February 2016 - 09:19 AM.

• crockrocket likes this

LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

CANADA RULES!!

• Nept, eth0 and Luaq like this

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Hell yes. So bummed I missed the last cup.

Delta 9's will be playing, roster:

_incitatus - twitch.tv/incitatas
eth0 - twitch.tv/eth0ethan
OdinTheWise

Edited by (thc)_incitatus, 23 February 2016 - 06:58 AM.

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

If you really want variety make it 1A 1B 1C. Seems fitting for a 3v3 and it really encourages a diverse range of playstyles.

• LEmental, DerMax and _incitatus like this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

If you really want variety make it 1A 1B 1C. Seems fitting for a 3v3 and it really encourages a diverse range of playstyles.

This would be very cool.

LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

I would rather see this than a clunky limit of 2.

I do wonder if assault would rule over though...

But the A mech choice is very interesting.

Edited by LEmental, 14 February 2016 - 03:36 PM.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

We run the 2-per-class limit because it forces variety without being overly restrictive.  And as M1lkshake mentioned, it largely preempts certain strategies.  In your counterexample, for instance, while you might attempt avoidance with 2 A's and a Predator, there's a very good chance that your slower-moving mech's going to be heard and surrounded.

Anyway, we almost definitely won't be running 1-per-class.  We'll consider opening mech restrictions, but no promises.  As for polling, well, we conduct those to assess community opinion.  We then factor those opinions into our decisions - but they aren't decision-directing votes.  I don't much trust democracy (see: America).

*Edit*  Although these tournaments are run primarily for fun, they're also introductions to competitive Hawken - which has, and likely always will have, restrictions.  Once Season 4 gets underway, we'll consider running some much more open and/or silly tournies as distractions and alternatives to league play. 

Edited by Nept: Ultra Lord of the God-Kings, 14 February 2016 - 04:44 PM.

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Hell yes. So bummed I missed the last cup.

Delta 9's will be playing, roster:

_incitatus
???
???

inci ill run with your team

• Luaq likes this

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Putting in my name as a ringer, third man, etc, or, alternatively

*Edit*  Although these tournaments are run primarily for fun, they're also introductions to competitive Hawken - which has, and likely always will have, restrictions.  

if anyone who hasn't TPG'd would like to try it out and would a crash course, I can serve as a captain/coach.

• CraftyDus likes this

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Midwestern Blasphemy is back again! Featuring:

ILikeJesusAndWisc

wischatesjesus

JesusHatesWisc someone with priorities in better order than JesusHatesWisc. Applicants must be well versed in the art of the YOLO with substantial experience in totally-wurf. Raidering and Turkey certifications are preferred. Blasphemy and Midwesterness optional.

• Nept likes this

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

inci ill run with your team

Thank you odin, but I think eth0 and spaghetto are going to be on the roster. If this changes, I'll be sure to let you know. MWB needs a third still...

ttownpedro

ttownpedro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I would like to participate, but could only pull it off if we go with the 11am EST start time.  The last Cup was good fun, and (for me) a great introduction to TPG Hawken.

Captains, please consider ttownpedro while on the recruiting trail

• Nept, Amidatelion and M1lkshake like this

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Midwestern Blasphemy is back again! Featuring:

ILikeJesusAndWisc

wischatesjesus

JesusHatesWisc someone with priorities in better order than JesusHatesWisc. Applicants must be well versed in the art of the YOLO with substantial experience in totally-wurf. Raidering and Turkey certifications are preferred. Blasphemy and Midwesterness optional.

if you need a guy, i am available 

• Nept likes this

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
PBR will do it again!

Crockrocket
Coldform
Roarschack

Edited by (TDM)coldform, 20 February 2016 - 08:50 AM.

• Nept and crockrocket like this

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

EU represents:

AUTOMOMS

DerMax

Meraple

Kopra

• coldform, Nept, crockrocket and 9 others like this

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

EU represents:

AUTOMOMS

DerMax

Meraple

Kopra

make sure to register with tpg and create or join an existing team if you haven't already

• DerMax likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

We've registered.

M1lkshake

M1lkshake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Main post has been updated.

• CraftyDus and FunkMaster67 like this

The Automatic Mustangs

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Main post has been updated.

twitch.tv/craftydus

I will likely be in a Kenworth w900 somewhere between Nevada and California in the hours prior-to and right up to match screenshots.

Because American Truck Simulator and Hawken are virtually identical in style and pace as first person shooters.

Edited by CraftyDus, 18 February 2016 - 05:26 AM.

• PoopSlinger, coldform and MomOw like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Because American Truck Simulator and Hawken are virtually identical in style and pace as first person shooters.

I'm not sure why I expected American Truck Simulator not to come with guns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users