117 replies to this topic

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
Cuz Canadainite

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Unexpected Trio of No Names is looking forward to participate again!

Spoiler

Edit: Link to trailer of this action packed & hilarious movie adaptation of the original The Good The Bad and the Ugly.
Spoiler

Edit TWoooo: Was there a Stream for the losers bracket? Someone in the pubs supposedly saw a match of UTN and we didn't know we were actually being streamed :O ... supposedly we did good? Probably our only won match..

Edited by Luaq, 19 February 2016 - 09:38 AM.

• Nept likes this

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

We did stream some matches from the losers bracket, but I don't think we caught the UTN.  Can doublecheck here, though: https://www.youtube....&sort=dd&view=0

• Luaq likes this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Edit TWoooo: Was there a Stream for the losers bracket? Someone in the pubs supposedly saw a match of UTN and we didn't know we were actually being streamed :O ... supposedly we did good? Probably our only won match..

I can't find it on the TPG stream, but I did stream and upload MWB's match with UTN, so that might have been it. 

rounds 1 and 2.

• Nept and Luaq like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

HoneyBoomBoom

HoneyBoomBoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

It looks like AlphaStrikeAPose is a go for this!  

Members:

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

cbrxx

HoneyBoomBoom

GLHF!

edit:  I'm not sure about the rest of my team, but I'm definitely not a "Up and ready to go at 8am on a Sunday" type. :D

Edited by HoneyBoomBoom, 19 February 2016 - 12:51 PM.

• Nept and ttownpedro like this

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Thanks for the videos haha, frikken funny to see ourselves get killed so easily! Ohhhh we knew we would lose hahaha.
Was fun though haha. God we felt bad for the BBB class restriction. Looking forward for the next one!

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
Any thought to a handicap based on group mmr average? We could add in a good looks category factor which would obviously drag team alpha strike a pose down quite a bit but in the interest of fair play....

wmmoney.png

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

removing hud items crosshairs etc / changing field of vision would be a handicap :P

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
Spartan had to bow out of this round, and we picked up Roarschack to sub.

Edited by (TDM)coldform, 20 February 2016 - 10:15 AM.

• crockrocket likes this

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Hey bois, when are you gon announce the prizes?

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Any thought to a handicap based on group mmr average? We could add in a good looks category factor which would obviously drag team alpha strike a pose down quite a bit but in the interest of fair play....

Hmm I want to be crushed if I'm not good enough. I mean, in other private servers it's fun to do handicaps for fun but when it's about competition, That's just making "arranged" fights in my opinion. I expect to be crushed by high tier team and learn from that. If we win because the other team had an handicap, it wasn't fair and real. At least thats how I see it.

To encourage people to participate and let this event gain in popularity I think participation gifts for every player would be nice. Just a little something.

• crockrocket likes this

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
^ handicapping seems to work very well in sports and actually balances things better. When you start looking at the teams a few of them are all hall of fame players, so basically before 1 fight is completed the tournament is whittled down to 3 or 4 teams going for 1-3rd because nobody else has even a remote shot. Now that doesn't sound competitive at all.

wmmoney.png

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Hey bois, when are you gon announce the prizes?

Soon™

• DerMax and M1lkshake like this

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

^ handicapping seems to work very well in sports and actually balances things better. When you start looking at the teams a few of them are all hall of fame players, so basically before 1 fight is completed the tournament is whittled down to 3 or 4 teams going for 1-3rd because nobody else has even a remote shot. Now that doesn't sound competitive at all.

Balance in most sports is achieved through draft, money and hard work.

Sunderland doesn't beat Man U because Man U gets handicapped. They beat them by hiring new blood, hard work and fighting out out Champions league into Premier. A team does shittily in American sports, they get better draft picks, first shot at new blood to train up. The best team doesn't get punished or handicapped because they trained harder than everyone else.

You have absolutely not put in enough work to so much as have an inkling of what you're capable of. Don't put yourself down and don't insult us that try with "handicaps." Competition isn't about getting the same shot as everyone else at winning, it's about bringing your personal best and striving against everyone to win.

Edited by Amidatelion, 20 February 2016 - 06:10 PM.

• coldform and eth0 like this

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
That's sounds all good Ami but I think think a handicap should still be discussed. Your examples while reading nice they don't take into account how pro sports is set up so that you don't have Tom Brady, mike Tyson and Ronaldo on the same team.

Edited by WmMoneyFrmMissouri, 20 February 2016 - 03:40 PM.

wmmoney.png

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Of course, if there was more players, I guess there would be TIER specific tournaments, like games from Pokemon to Call of Duty. But Hawken doesn't have that amount of players. So we can only manage to make one tournament. But it could interesting to do brackets tournament. 1800 to 2100mmr. 2100 to 2400 and so on. Not sure how many would participate. Or create a tournament with combining a noob, a mid, and a top player based team and have arranged teams face off.
All that could be nice in the suggestion section. I'd participate. But TPG ***TRY HARD*** isnt that I guess :)

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Definitely won't be running any handicaps.  Might separate into skill tiers when we've a larger population, and/or might run a few draft tournies later.

• coldform and crockrocket like this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

What you should do if you want a "handicap" is recruit more people for the cup. The more people that participate on all skill levels the better for everyone.

• coldform likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
Have you considered that a lot of people outside the die hards don't want to play for the reasons I've laid out. I have suggested to my fellow Robros to form a few teams but not many takers. Most common answer: what's the point? Just something to consider for down the road when doing more of these. Draft cup sounds fun!!
  • Luaq likes this

wmmoney.png

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

I get your point but for me it's about actually try to get a kill on one of thoses high tiers haha, And with time, I'll be better against them. I'm also having more fun playing there because I"m not stuck in  a pub server where most don't do team work and no communication tools aside from the chat system which people don't always look at at the good moment... For chaos though, I do like the 24 player servers MOUHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh yeah, there should be a tournament of 12 vs 12 haha.

• WmMoneyFrmMissouri likes this

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
^ that was a well placed MUAHAHAHA btw, very impressive ;)
  • Luaq likes this

wmmoney.png

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

I would join a team, but i'll get curb stomped by about 80% of the participants. 

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

ttownpedro

ttownpedro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Do we know if this thing is kicking off at 11am or 1pm EST yet?

Thanks!

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

I would join a team, but i'll get curb stomped by about 80% of the participants. 

That hasn't stopped people from participating in the past.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

That hasn't stopped people from participating in the past.

Spoiler

• Luaq likes this

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

at least you can come and try and smash me! I'm just a struggling 1900 mmr :P

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

in addition to prizes TBA, I'm throwing the following collection at the 9 players in the top 3 teams

Woodcutter Simulator 2013
Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming
Professional Farmer 2014
Professional Farmer 2014 - Good Ol’ Times DLC
Professional Farmer 2014 - America DLC
Agricultural Simulator 2013 - Steam Edition
Skyscraper Simulator
Airport Simulator 2014
Towtruck Simulator 2015
Mining & Tunneling Simulator
Warehouse and Logistics Simulator
Warehouse and Logistics Simulator: Hell's Warehouse DLC

Because someone watching me play truck simulator in my stream told me about it

• KejiGoto, Nept, Hyginos and 6 others like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Luaq

Luaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

^ what is this :P

where's goat simulator? :P

No racing sim? :O

I want Starship citizen!  (Kidding...)

EDIT

BTW Me and Robscancer need a third player in our team!!!

Edited by Luaq, 22 February 2016 - 04:36 PM.

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

-much simulator-

ksrNTpdNLy-4.png

• eth0 and Luaq like this

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Hawken Virus Was an Inside Jyob
LEmental

x9x8x7x

Kamile

• coldform, Hyginos and CraftyDus like this

hkn_sign_lgbt_by_neraste-d8oyzga.png

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

at least you can come and try and smash me! I'm just a struggling 1900 mmr :P

Struggling 1850 mmr right here

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Struggling 1850 mmr right here

My mmr is ILIEKPIE, and I still do this regularly. MMR just makes for didn't enjoy the game.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

My primary goal is to get to at least 2000 mmr on my main, i'll probably stop caring then.

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

My primary goal is to get to at least 2000 mmr on my main, i'll probably stop caring then.

Stop caring now.

z6aJAX7.png?1

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

k

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

^ what is this :P

where's goat simulator? :P

No racing sim? :O

I want Starship citizen!  (Kidding...)

EDIT

BTW Me and Robscancer need a third player in our team!!!

I suppose its time to make up to Rob all the time he spent trying to understand our Anglo asses.

Luaq, vous avez ma hache.

• Luaq likes this

M1lkshake

M1lkshake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Time is set for 1pm EST. We're also expecting a much shorter run time this time around. Crafty has added some prizes as well.

"How do you avoid these cognitive biases? First, be aware of them. Recognize that we're all susceptible. Second, reconsider your first instinct whenever you've performed poorly. Often, these first thoughts revolve around preserving self-esteem and distancing yourself from responsibility. Always consider poor performances your fault, as that places them within your realm of control." - Nept

The Automatic Mustangs

TPG Master Thread <-- Interested in competitive Hawken? See here.

Credit for the Automatic Mustang logo goes to Breadeffect.

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

It's a cover-up for certain time constraints called parents

Parental rules are a better reason not to play than not wanting to be curbstomped IMO.

• coldform and crockrocket like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

So here's a question for consideration: What are everyone's thoughts on regarding match time that is currently set at the default 10 minute value for this TPG cup? I have not seen much footage of the previous cup in question, so please excuse my general ignorance on the matter.

Anyway, as we all know, a regular public TDM match runs for 10 minutes. Usually, if the server is filled with 6 players on each team from start to finish (i.e. 12 players in total), the remaining match time is usually represented accurately for the scoreboard values (Sentium has X kills, Prosk has Y kills).  In this amount of time, usually, the deviation of the score limit relative to the time left is very tight, which basically means that 10 minutes is roughly how long it takes for a 6v6 TDM game—that takes place in a public server—to finish. This is especially true if no one leaves the server during said conditions, and even more so if the MMR deviations are fairly low as well.

In some of the videos I have seen, especially when very skilled teams face off, the 10 minute value does not seem to reflect accurate TDM gameplay for 3v3 competitive matches. This is obviously due to both teams being very cautious, and not wanting to make mistakes. This game has an unspoken "law" that in team based games, the smaller the teams, the headroom (i.e. the capacity) for errors decreases significantly. Certain maps decreases this headroom even further, while some may actually increase it. It also depends on the opposing team's composition, among other things.

When each team plays as cautiously and conservative as possible, and given that this is a 3v3 TDM competition, I do not think the 10 minute value of a match bodes well. There should be more opportunities for teams to counter other teams based on what has been seen and felt in the match. I don't think 10 minutes does this any justice for anyone. The 10 minute value was, I believe, implemented for a 6v6 TDM match, not a 3v3.

Thoughts? Is 10 minutes just fine for what we're accomplishing here, or do you think the community deserves a little more headroom and time to comfortably compete. Sure, I can see people thinking that the time is there to put pressure on both sides, which further drives each team to outperform what they expect. However, given the 3 player limit, and depending on some maps, this time limit seems to be more of an annoyance than a driver.

It's also worth noting here that I am a TPG player, and have competed before. I fully understand that seconds, even milliseconds, make all the difference in the outcome. Which is why the match time should be carefully examined and approached from various perspectives.

• crockrocket likes this

TpsOr7F.png

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Hate to give a short and simple answer to a thoughtfully-constructed post, but I'm tired:

1. IIRC, the last Try-Hard Cup had 8-minute rounds.
  2. During our shoutcast, very few teams seemed pressed for time.  Additionally, 8 minutes provided (imo) ample engagement opportunities.
  3. If we ran anything (much) beyond 8-minute rounds, our 3v3 Cups would take forever.  Remember that they're playing a best-of-three format. 

Were you able to watch any matches from the previous tournament?  If not, you might want to give our shoutcasted recordings a look: https://community.pl...-cup-concludes/

Had quite a few matches reach our tiebreaker maps.  Would recommend the Nudisto Beach vs Wobbling Wimp Wibblers games especially - very close throughout. 

• Draigun, crockrocket and Luaq like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users