Photo

Reworks to Shock Coil

- - - - - shock coil internals hawken 2017 PC rework one two three slot patch 1.5.3 patch 1.6.0

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

First of all - it makes absolutely no sense to have at most a three slot evolution for this internal. Needing to sacrifice 3 slots for no fall damage is ridiculous, and the other two make no sense either.

That being said, perhaps:

• Reduce the three slot evolution to a two slot evolution; remove the fall damage reduction percentages in favor of certain vertical coverage (in meters) for 100% fall damage reduction
  • Remove three slot evolution in favor of the old internal design (1-slot design for 100% fall damage reduction)

The problem with the current internal design for patch 1.6.0 is having useless one and two slot Shock Coils, but having to sacrifice three slots for the 100 percent reduction. Fall damage is something that many could care less about, even with the new meta. The original internal design allowed for certain builds to work, with most being stealth based classes. It was a niche internal for a niche playstyle, if you will.

I also do not understand the logic to having a three slot internal that provides you with something already unconcerning. Even for the niche play styles, it makes no sense to use it. You're probably better off using other three slot internals.

What's worse, it forces us to compensate for two more slots compared to the previous patch for the same effect. I recognize change is change - and this is a huge balance patch compared to 1.5.3, but I think this one has gone too far.

Since fall damage is pretty insignificant to the meta, I wouldn't be against the idea of simply having no fall damage entirely in the game.

Edit: Fixd small typos; expanded a suggestion bullet point to better reflect itself

Edited by Draigun, 14 June 2017 - 12:41 AM.

• Amidatelion, talons1337, peacecraftSLD and 3 others like this

TpsOr7F.png

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
Slots should be on a height scale.
Ie one slot stops 100% damage from a low fall but only a percentage of a higer fall, etc
If you drop from the origin aa to the bottom it should require a 2 slot.
3 slot should be canned, its not worth 3 slots (unless 3 slot could boost downward and create an aoe equivalent to what your fall damage would have been, cos why not...)

Edited by 6ixxer, 07 June 2017 - 12:01 AM.

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

coil doesn't deserve such rekt.
rip coil, we miss you.

• talons1337 and WillyW like this

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Slots should be on a height scale.
Ie one slot stops 100% damage from a low fall but only a percentage of a higer fall, etc

In which case each shock coil tier should resist a certain value of fall damage

Spoiler

Shoutaxeror

Shoutaxeror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

What about three slot air 180?

KkaQ7HY.png

SaYxVQp.pngWgWPdMp.png

KDR Veteran | PrT Participant

[email protected]

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Good words

I like this, and its a step forward, but I feel like the height thing is too restrictive and would be a pain to balance properly, and for players to figure out. There are a lot of varied heights a pred can drop from, and balancing it like say, 2nd tier Origin, third tier Origin would be disengenuous. Even if you had a balanced, staggered height level, the problem still exists for pilots in internalizing that, because such a system would necessarily have to be made with arbitrary values.  

Still, I like the idea, though not as much as I like the "shockwave on landing" or the "increase crushing damage" ones.

• Draigun likes this

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

G1 SC: Reduce 100% fall damage

G2 SC: Reduce 100% fall damage + silent landing (no loud "BUMP!")

G3 SC: Reduce 100% fall damage + silent landing + faster 'stand-up' sequence so we can dodge/boost earlier when falling from high altitudes

• WillyW likes this

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

G1 SC: Reduce 100% fall damage

G2 SC: Reduce 100% fall damage + silent landing (no loud "BUMP!")

G3 SC: Reduce 100% fall damage + silent landing + faster 'stand-up' sequence so we can dodge/boost earlier when falling from high altitudes

G4 slowmo silent ballet landing with a 360 turn while in the air.

4f8b3c725d1778949d094ddabed54f82.gif

• CrimsonKaim likes this

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I like this, and its a step forward, but I feel like the height thing is too restrictive and would be a pain to balance properly, and for players to figure out. There are a lot of varied heights a pred can drop from, and balancing it like say, 2nd tier Origin, third tier Origin would be disengenuous. Even if you had a balanced, staggered height level, the problem still exists for pilots in internalizing that, because such a system would necessarily have to be made with arbitrary values.  

Still, I like the idea, though not as much as I like the "shockwave on landing" or the "increase crushing damage" ones.

Yes, that is a major issue with my proposal (added depth of confusion). Even if we are able to implement a measured scale, it's still difficult to approximate, especially in the heat of battle. The scaling itself isn't flawed, but its implementation to the current mechanics (or rather, map height) is. For that reason, adding another effect could balance out the difficulties of approximation.

Some very good suggestions with added, secondary effects to the Shock Coil have been mentioned. Though, with any evolutionary internal, the effects should remain consistent in their application, otherwise - for better or for worse - we break the trend of having a progressively better, and same, effect across the board.

Edited by Draigun, 07 June 2017 - 09:34 PM.

TpsOr7F.png

Arkhaun

Arkhaun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Im for either the aoe 3 slot or maybe a cancellation of the impact from big falls

Or maybe the 1 slot is no impact penalty,2 slot no dmg and no impact, and 3 slot is either that aoe or ridiculous crushing dmg

Edited by Arkhaun, 10 June 2017 - 05:14 PM.

SORRY CAPS

170323-R9tPRfBFIQ79.jpg

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
I still think just have 2 and single slot soaks 100% damage at small to mid height and halves fall damage thereafter, and the 2 slot soaks all fall damage.

3 slot not worth it.
When playing pred i can drop to the bottom of origin or uptown in 2 stages if it means i can have other beneficial internals.

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I still think just have 2 and single slot soaks 100% damage at small to mid height and halves fall damage thereafter, and the 2 slot soaks all fall damage.

3 slot not worth it.
When playing pred i can drop to the bottom of origin or uptown in 2 stages if it means i can have other beneficial internals.

I agree with 100 percent fall damage absorption - but I think anything beyond (or lower then, perhaps) the full fall damage absorption should be a different effect—that is, if we are going to be using an evolutionary internal design. Halving the fall damage is better than nothing, but I'd rather see all Shock Coils having full (100%) fall damage absorption, nothing more - nothing less there.

It just wasn't a good idea to convert a single, non-evolutionary internal to a 3-stage balancing and scaling nightmare. If they were concerned with the slot capacity, a simple increase in slot usage would have done the job far better. The point is, they thought a 33-66 percent fall damage reduction is inline with some of the other internals. 20 percent self-damage reduction there; 30 percent damage reduction when boosting here...

But what they fail to realize is that fall damage is simply (literally) unique in the game's balance and design - so a unique internal should be used in conjunction with the game's design. And one did exist, as we've all seen with its previous 1-slot design.

Edited by Draigun, 14 June 2017 - 12:37 AM.

TpsOr7F.png

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
Yeah fall damage was really only an issue for the pred. Its 0% damage or not used at all. If the way to scale is by the height of drop then im ok with that. Players will learn whats too long a drop.

Everything else would tap hover right before landing or eat the damage if you wanted to stay off radar.

Quad_X

Quad_X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I'm learning to ration my fuel and thrust before I hit the ground, eliminating the need for a shock coil. It's challenging but still fun.

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

I liked Kopra's suggestion from the last thread: 100% fall damage reduction for all versions, higher level versions reduce audible footstep range.

Reducing fall distance (so short falls cause no damage) isn't an awful alternative -- at least the one and two slot versions wouldn't be useless like they are currently.

• Amidatelion likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shock coil, internals, hawken 2017, PC, rework, one two three slot, patch 1.5.3, patch 1.6.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users