69 replies to this topic

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Crafty masterfultroll.

Thirdeye and clusterBM use mini flak at high levels, Dave uses heat cannon. They are all viable, they all require minor changes to internals, such as a fail safe with heat cannon. Also the orb lord meta IMO is much easier to work with when you have a flak cannon. It basically allows you to focus on your movement more, so you don't necessarily have your reticle on the target the whole time. I also found that some weapons are better on different maps or against different comps. Overall though you will have more success against a wide variety of opponents with a flak cannon... Lol.

Edited by LoC_TR, 14 April 2015 - 07:12 PM.

• crockrocket and CraftyDus like this

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

t basically allows you to focus on your movement more so you don't necessarily have your reticle on the target the whole time.

Huh?

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

One of my favorite scout pilots uses miniflak. He can toe-up with any of the older scout-ho flak-hoochies.

Heat users are unloved by their own mothers.

No decent human being plays with heat. Heat users on any mech are not to be respected. 

Wut.

K, so first thing: Mini-flak is not comparable to Flak.  Flak has ludicrous burst, as well as high sustained DPS.  Mini-flak has higher sustained DPS, but it's unrealistic to think that its max DPS is achievable in a CQC engagement while avoiding the enemy's fire.  Flak has a huge advantage because of its burst.  You can shoot-->dodge/move-->shoot and repeat, while retaining maximum effectiveness.  You can't do that with a mini-flak.  

I miss when the mini-flak was viable, but it's not even a comparison to the flak cannon atm.  

2nd: Heat is actually in a pretty bad spot atm compared to sustained weaponry.  It's still viable, but it's woefully outclassed in most engagements that don't revolve around corner-play.   At long range it loses to hitscan, at mid-range it also loses to hitscan, and at close range it's a complete fuzzy bunnyng joke due to splash damage.  The world needs more Heat users, or maybe just less overpowered sustained.  

Edited by Xacius, 14 April 2015 - 03:20 PM.

• comic_sans, LoC_TR and BurnsHot like this

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

*pats on back*

Don't worry, not everyone can be good with projectile weapons. I'm sure if you practice you can do it.

I will 1v1 you with whatever mech/weapon you want. And still kick your @$$. Time and place fuzzy bunny. Let's do this. 

• RedVan and Hyginos like this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

*pats on back*

Don't worry, not everyone can be good with projectile weapons. I'm sure if you practice you can do it.

I will 1v1 you with whatever mech/weapon you want. And still kick your @$$. Time and place fuzzy bunny. Let's do this. 

lmfao

when is the match?  I'd like to see this.  

Also, to make things fair, I suggest that Merl limits himself to Redox Technician

Bonus points if you get the weapon spawn bug and land in an Assault or Gren.  youcandoit

Edited by Xacius, 14 April 2015 - 04:04 PM.

• RedVan, -Tj- and comic_sans like this

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

The heat is better than the flak if you are 100% accurate. That is very hard to achieve. 

maybe git gud with heat then

What's with the actual salt in this thread, though?

FWIW HEAT Scout is my favorite mech to play when I'm not super tryharding, but Flak is better in most cases due to high hitscan burst coupled with good DPS. I wouldn't run Scout at all if I was trying to be as competitive as possible, so viability at the absolute top tiers of gameplay is pretty irrelevant. Both are perfectly usable at almost every level of skill. 

Edited by JeffMagnum, 14 April 2015 - 04:15 PM.

• comic_sans and CraftyDus like this

d1eZeG3.png

Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Dance puppet, dance.

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Dance puppet, dance.

To be fair, you can't really talk down to somebody and then refuse a 1v1.  Such behavior invalidates the sacred tenants of the quicksc0pers.  

• breadeffect, DerMax, Merl61 and 2 others like this

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

*tenets

NO, I will not 1v1 you or Merl.

You should call me Luna.

Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

To be fair, you can't really talk down to somebody and then refuse a 1v1.  Such behavior invalidates the sacred tenants of the quicksc0pers.  

I don't mind 1v1'ing, would be nice to see a competitive player actually use an EOC Infiltrator for once. Not sure if your trying to prove something or just throwing your fists around because of an easily bruised ego. My theory of the effects of competitive play in Hawken is starting to take shape in any case, I call that a win.

Also Xacius, if one of the sacred tenets of the quicksc0pers involve pubstomping in an Incin+Tech party combo, creating a number imbalance, while throwing down trash talk, I would enjoy invalidating it.

• phed, Houruck, CounterlogicMan and 2 others like this

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Huh?

You can burst your target, look away from your target to change the angle of your dodge, relocate the target and burst again. The ability to fire in between boost-dodging and still do adequate damage. In comparison a mini flak scout can't take his reticule off his target without sacrificing the dakka. Got it?
  • comic_sans likes this

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

I don't mind 1v1'ing, would be nice to see a competitive player actually use an EOC Infiltrator for once. Not sure if your trying to prove something or just throwing your fists around because of an easily bruised ego. My theory of the effects of competitive play in Hawken is starting to take shape in any case, I call that a win.

Also Xacius, if one of the sacred tenets of the quicksc0pers involve pubstomping in an Incin+Tech party combo, creating a number imbalance, while throwing down trash talk, I would enjoy invalidating it.

Not trying to prove anything.  I've long since passed my phase of Hawken tryhardery.  If anyone has taken my recent MLG leetspeak seriously, I think that speaks more about a lack of intelligence/higher processing than anything.   That, or they're just out of the loop. 

Regardless, don't get all defensive.  You can't be the aggravator and then back off/play the victim.  

In the recent months that I've seen him play, I can safely say that he's one of the top players at the moment.  

You've been playing for almost twice as long, and you're no where near that level.  Imo, it's best not to talk down to someone when you're clearly outmatched by them.  

Edited by Xacius, 14 April 2015 - 11:00 PM.

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

*tenets

NO, I will not 1v1 you or Merl.

tenants*

u fkn fuzzy bunny 

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I've long since passed my phase of Hawken tryhardery.

This just in: Xacius is a casual screb.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 14 April 2015 - 08:33 PM.

• DerMax, Meraple and RedVan like this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
As someone who is not at all an expert, my input is that heat is one of the most fun weapons to play, to hell with difficulty or viability. To be fair, I usually run flak. Also to be fair, I'm not often a scout man.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Crafty masterfultroll.

Thirdeye and clusterBM use mini flak at high levels, Dave uses heat cannon. They are all viable, they all require minor changes to internals, such as a fail safe with heat cannon. Also the orb lord meta IMO is much easier to work with when you have a flak cannon. It basically allows you to focus on your movement more, so you don't necessarily have your reticle on the target the whole time. I also found that some weapons are better on different maps or against different comps. Overall though you will have more success against a wide variety of opponents with a flak cannon... Lol.

/thread

Although I am curious about internal tweaks for miniflak. I need to fuzzy bunny around with that thing more.

JgQjgkx.png

hestoned

hestoned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

i like flak cause i can point and click at stuff and then splosions

• phed, breadeffect, Merl61 and 9 others like this

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

TIME AND PLACE. I will eoc infil. Hell, I'll even just use the nade and still win. Time and place. 

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Oh christ, I can't wait to see that thread.  Also, you're acting like a smarmy git.  I don't know why you're surprised that people are responding antagonistically.

• RedVan and Xacius like this

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Although I am curious about internal tweaks for miniflak. I need to fuzzy bunny around with that thing more.

I think it's more a question of technique on most maps. Obviously a standard orb build is viable on both, but i've seen advanced-repair kit, 1 slot deflectors, fuel converter, and extractor. The questions you need to ask yourself are, how often are you actually procing these internals? Against which mechs? How can I adapt my playstyle to take advantage of these internals? Have I developed any bad habits by relying on certain internals too often?

Edited by LoC_TR, 14 April 2015 - 10:42 PM.

• crockrocket likes this

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

thred deraled.  all hail the tenants of the legendary quicksc0pers

Edited by Xacius, 14 April 2015 - 11:00 PM.

Rei

Rei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Pros always default to assault :3c

• IareDave, CounterlogicMan and LoC_TR like this

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

TIME AND PLACE. I will eoc infil. Hell, I'll even just use the nade and still win. Time and place. 

Can I sub for Sylhiri? EOC infils, no items.

• Houruck and Merl61 like this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I think it's more a question of technique on most maps. Obviously a standard orb build is viable on both, but i've seen advanced-repair kit, 1 slot deflectors, fuel converter, and extractor. The questions you need to ask yourself are, how often are you actually procing these internals? Against which mechs? How can I adapt my playstyle to take advantage of these internals? Have I developed any bad habits by relying on certain internals too often?

Thanks Loc, providing useful information in the midst of a full thread derailment.

• LoC_TR likes this

JgQjgkx.png

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Thanks Loc, providing useful information in the midst of a full thread derailment.

I'm outta here!

giphy.gif

• ThirdEyE and CounterlogicMan like this

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
This thread has so much potential as an instrument for our growth as people.
  • dorobo, Merl61, JeffMagnum and 1 other like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

You can burst your target, look away from your target to change the angle of your dodge, relocate the target and burst again. The ability to fire in between boost-dodging and still do adequate damage. In comparison a mini flak scout can't take his reticule off his target without sacrificing the dakka. Got it?

It's just that I play by a style of moving/sliding to keep my target under my reticle with Flak - I often don't consciously shoot, just sort of note that I have when the damage sparks fly or the kill chirp sounds.  The heat indicator is in my awareness, too, but I don't really focus on it, either.  Usually, part of me has the enemy in the reticle, and a lot of awareness of where everyone else is/must be, and where I want to move while ending the fight.

Miniflak, I have to break out of that bubble/zone and keep from overspamming.  It is a very different weapon to me, and I like it much less.

You should call me Luna.

KillerMariosCY

KillerMariosCY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

• SOD_CyberTormentor likes this

TAZ_

TAZ_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Because flak have spread bullet, and you can do peek-a-boo tactic, so it's very strong on close combat..
Meanwhile if you using miniflak, you have to chasing enemy and can get shot easily by them.

(08:35:47 PM) Ashfire908: auth taz_ blacklist
(08:35:48 PM) ScrimBot: 'taz_' has been added to the 'blacklist' group.

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

its not the spread, its the burst.

minflak is sustain, flak is more frontloaded to give high burst potential.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scout, weapon, doubt, pro, kill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users