HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Poll: Air Compressor

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

Poll: Air Compressor: What Do You Think_ (231 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you satisfied with the current state of the Air Compressor_

1. Yes (94 votes [40.69%])

Percentage of vote: 40.69%

2. No (113 votes [48.92%])

Percentage of vote: 48.92%

3. I don't know / I dont care (24 votes [10.39%])

Percentage of vote: 10.39%

What changes should be made to the Air Compressor to improve it_

1. It should be made into a built-in mechanic for all mechs instead of being an internal (97 votes [41.99%])

Percentage of vote: 41.99%

2. It should be removed as an internal and be granted to one unique subclass as an ability (44 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

3. Nothing, it's perfect as it is now (55 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. Other option (post in comments) (35 votes [15.15%])

Percentage of vote: 15.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 RavWielki

RavWielki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 12:14 PM

This should be available as internal only for  A class mechs. B and C class is too big and they dont need it, they have 2x- nearly 3x more hp

Edited by RavWielki, March 13 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#42 SystemX

SystemX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted March 13 2014 - 02:03 PM

Personally I dislike the air compressor as it is almost a requirement to be a competitive pilot. Height advantage + doge capability = overall advantage to someone who does not have a compressor. Boosting in the air was originally supposed to leave you exposed and partially defenseless, and the trade off of having a better sight line. Now it is by far the most needed internal for mobility, and combat effectiveness in the game.  No internal should be an absolute in the game. If I have learned anything from the internals is that they cause more annoying problems with game play than the tuning points did.  

In all honesty I think tuning points should have stayed in the game and internals should have been thrown out...

Edited by SystemX, March 13 2014 - 02:12 PM.

Character Artist
http://www.zackw.com

#43 RunaPanda

RunaPanda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationTrolling you where ever you go :3

Posted March 19 2014 - 05:02 PM

Honestly make it built in to all mechs. Those who want it don't have to equip it anymore from internals, those who don't need not acknowledge it's existence in their mech. To those who cry, the physics don't work for it. If you were to bring physics into the gameplay, then there's a lot of things we shouldn't be able to do. The hydraulics systems of the mechs are far to small to support jumping let alone horizontal dashing, ever see the design of some of the A class legs_ A couple of them have near impossible angles for correct balance to even stand, there's not enough counterweight in the back end to justify it to stay standing. Another physics fault, how can we even fly_ It takes thrusters the size of football fields to propel a space shuttle out in space, so how can thrusters the size of cars enable flight on a mech that weights thousands of tons_ Thus why Hawken is considered an arcade style shooter, where physics don't really matter, it's all about providing a quick and fun experience. Not a realistic simulation of what mech combat could be like.

One last thing for all you physics nerds, explain the floating rocks in Facility.

Edited by RunaPanda, March 19 2014 - 05:03 PM.

Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz| DDR4  3200 @ CAS 14|SLIed Quad GTX 980|Kingspec 1TB PCIe SSD/ 4x 3TB HDDs|Logitech G502 Proteus Core|Razer DeathStalker Ultimate|Occulus Rift|3xAsus ROG Swift PG278Q|Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus|Wrapped up in a sexy Corsair Obsidian 900D w/ Custom Laser etching

#44 XyXly

XyXly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 19 2014 - 06:51 PM

View PostDeadmen_Tim, on February 24 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

Instead of this ridiculous spammy air circus.
This is a great sentence

#45 BoompigXD

BoompigXD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 07:22 PM

Either give it to everybody or remove it entirely. AC being an internal is retarded as all hell because there is literally no reason for it to be an internal other than to be a cash grab for players that want to Air Dodge. I'd personally want to see it removed or nerfed really hard.

Posted Image

#46 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 26 2014 - 04:40 PM

Make it universal once and for all to every mech in the game, I'd say.

With differences or uniqueness factors per class, of course..

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#47 Eliziel

Eliziel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 01:03 AM

Seems to me the A-type air mech's need it to be effective. It should be an internal for light mech's only. Possibly include B-Medium but, I think it should be an A-type only internal. C-types need internals to fit their role more, rather then trying to air dodge with beef. Restricting it to only the berserker doesn't seem right. I don't fly the scout or berserker (currently) but it seems to me they both need it to be effective. Clearly one spends more time in the air then the other...

#48 Eliziel

Eliziel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 01:13 AM

View PostWarlordZ, on February 24 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

Conservation of momentum please.
NOO!! CoM would radically alter game mechanics and balance. I disagree wholeheartedly.

#49 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 11:26 PM

The only person making any sense here is the person saying momentum should be conserved. And that's just physics.

As for everyone saying it should be universal, what the h*ll_ Taking to the air isn't everyone's style. That means the players who like being in the air are just getting a bonus over those who don't.

As for everyone saying it should be removed, also what the h*ll_ There's literally no reason to. It takes up valuable internals space (same reason why it shouldn't be universal) and it uses fuel when doing so, unlike the ground based dodge. Like the ground based dodge, it's completely predictable. It has a set duration, a set distance, and a set amount of time before you can do it again. I'm sorry you're having a hard time hitting your targets, but not only is that the purpose of dodging, but there are trade offs for the person using it.

Annnnd for the one or two people saying flight should be limited and nerfed hard, why are you here_ Hawken is a game of trade offs. Flying at any speed burns fuel and burning fuel means it's harder to escaaaaaaaapppppppe. ITALICS.

Also- Vulong. Stop it. AC is perfectly useful on a C-class for many of the reasons it's useful on an A class. Good dodge of rockets, slightly increased aerial maneuverability, ducking out of lifts (on facility you can get a fantastic crush on somebody if you time it right), getting up close to a turreted C only to jump over them, dodging rockets... You kind of get the gist of it.

Maybe, possibly, make it take up one less slot, and maybe, more possibly, make it available at a lower pilot level, and maybe, less possibly, make it use a tiny bit more fuel (mainly on A classes) when dodging in order to make it a more tactical decision less capable of being spammed.
Posted Image

#50 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted May 09 2014 - 05:50 AM

where is the option in poll "delete it from game"_  :D

Edited by nepacaka, May 09 2014 - 05:51 AM.

#51 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted May 09 2014 - 06:29 AM

When I see the air compressor in action I think of Newtonian Physics, and how after about the 2nd or 3rd course change the mech would be going one way, and the jump jets the other.  That and the pilot would be dead.  Flying, I get.  Rapid course changes in mid-air on a multi-ton mech_  Nope, ain't gonna happen.  If simple artillery shells can do that much damage to the infrastructure, physics is gonna do a heck of a lot worse.

So I'm with nepacaka.  Where's the delete option_

#52 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted May 09 2014 - 07:01 AM

I just don't like the darn thing. I'm not good at using it, I'm not good at fighting people who are using it. It's been out for a while now, but it's just unintuitive for me. Is it a "bad" thing_ Debatable. Do I personally dislike it_ Yes. Would I prefer it to not exist_ Yep.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#53 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted May 09 2014 - 07:12 AM

So I'm with nepacaka.  Where's the delete option_
since I was a little surprised.
why I didn't see this topic before_ :D

#54 jrkong

jrkong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 07:37 AM

I could have sworn there are other threads and polls about this. Anyways if they keep it they should make it default or kill it entirely.

#55 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted May 14 2014 - 02:12 PM

Dump it, completely out of character with the rest of the game. It will unfortunately stay as a whole raft of players rely on it totally, take it away and they become very mediocre.

#56 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted May 14 2014 - 11:49 PM

TAKE IT AWAY! :ph34r:

#57 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted May 15 2014 - 08:03 AM

Keep it, but increase spread for airborne mechs.
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#58 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 15 2014 - 08:06 AM

Ok. Here I go again with what I suggested into this other thread: -> https://community.pl..._40#entry514918

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#59 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted May 15 2014 - 02:15 PM

View Postcomic_sans, on March 05 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

Put it on everything, change nothing.  Air Compressor means maximum fun.
Very subjective view... in my opinion it the worst thing added into this game right behind the tech(My only problem with the tech is the constant heal rate and sticky beam, i would prefer skill heals sigh). If I want to play a flight simulator i will go play one. AC is so frigging OP it not even funny. The amount of slots it takes up is negligible since it gives so much more. Launch pads not a risk, makes it easier to escape people, flying in the air dodging makes it tough for most pilots with EOC, heat , rev gl etc. Preferred the game when AC wasn't in the game... but this my opinion.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#60 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted May 15 2014 - 02:18 PM

View Postticklemyiguana, on May 08 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

Annnnd for the one or two people saying flight should be limited and nerfed hard, why are you here_ Hawken is a game of trade offs. Flying at any speed burns fuel and burning fuel means it's harder to escaaaaaaaapppppppe. ITALICS.

Hawken was a game of trade offs before ascension where internals gave us a + and a - . Now it a game where as you level up you get more utility etc and that is true. You don't need those utilities but they help since there is no drawback to using them.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users