• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Death orbs are slightly different for a couple reasons.  They provide significantly less armor (120 compared to 170)

As far as I know all orbs give 120 hp. Since when was this a thing?

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

As far as I know all orbs give 120 hp. Since when was this a thing?

Nope, death orbs are 120. Item orbs are 170. Just tested it without repair kit. 

• ThirdEyE likes this

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
June 7, 2015
The day the greater Hawken community learned exactly how item orbs work
  • PoopSlinger, Nept, crockrocket and 6 others like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

June 7, 2015
The day the greater Hawken community learned exactly how item orbs work

I've been playing for 2 fuzzy years and I didn't know this.  How?  Why is it not documented or differentiated at all?

Edited by &THC& comic_sans, 07 June 2015 - 08:30 PM.

• LoC_TR and CraftyDus like this

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
Bunch of scrubs.
  • LoC_TR likes this

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

'tis true. Hawken is a wild horse, not to be tamed. 

• PoopSlinger, comic_sans and CraftyDus like this

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

On your list of discussion topics there was no mention of the

!!G2EXCEPTION!!

It doesn't need an explanation.

Its what the people want.

• Nept, crockrocket, Kindos7 and 5 others like this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

I've been playing for 2 fuzzy years and I didn't know this.  How?  Why is it not documented or differentiated at all?

This is like:

• The ingame description for the fuel converter says it "converts 2% of damage to fuel". Except there's no "converting" - there's no damage reduction component, it just takes a % of incoming damage and gives you that % value in fuel. Also, the percentage of fuel supplied is not 2%, it's 20%. Why did it say 2% when it's 20%? Magic.
  • The Grenadier's ability description says it increases explosive radius and damage. Except it also applies the damage bonus to the Vulcan, which isn't explosive.

There's probably a lot more that I haven't mentioned. The descriptions for abilities and items are either vague or hilariously wrong/outdated.

• _incitatus, comic_sans and CraftyDus like this

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

!!G2EXCEPTION!!

I really don't think we should remove the G2 exception.

We've had it for so long now and it's never been a problem.

Unless you can make a thorough tactical depth arguement against (or for) it.

• comic_sans likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

lwY3QRd.jpg

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

!!G2EXCEPTION!!

When I find out who put the idea in my head that there is such a thing as a G2 Exception I am going to punch them in the fuzzy bunny.

• Nept likes this

LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
Tactical Depth: Orbs
  • Coordinated orb drops provide an alternative to withdrawal against superior numbers. Teams can drop multiple orbs on their defensive heavies, for example.

How is this a good thing?  If you have less people around you SHOULD lose, or at least have to pull some awesome maneuvers.  Shields/blockades/emp can help split the other team in a WAY more interesting way.

• Coordinated orb drops can also be used to bait enemies into attacking.

What? Like I really don't understand this one.  I place traps on orbs as a predator.

• Coordinated orb drops on healing teammates quickens their return to the front lines.

The window to which you can execute a killing blow to a mech is very narrow.  This promotes defensive play.  It also promotes unskillful/uninteresting mech rotations.

• Orbs, like shields, can be thrown to aid allies who would otherwise be unreachable.

I guess, depending on what weapons you have.

• Orbs can be used to reduce the effectiveness of EMPs. If you're unable to avoid an EMP, drop an orb preemptively to help soak the damage. Orbs (like all items) are also affected by EMPs for a shorter duration than your weapons.

So can dodging, using shields and blockades.  Sometimes a det can be used to get the killing blow.  Like if you think you are going to get emped, you are way better off not taking the damage in the first place by running behind cover.

• Preemptively drop orbs around a defensive point to improve your odds of holding. Conversely, tossing orbs toward a point you're attacking (say, against a wall where you'll be taking cover) strengthens pushes.

Theoretically turrets should do this, but they are kind of weak.  Overall though, orbs weaking pushes because it's much harder to down a player, creating an imbalance so that one side can snowball.  In a zero sum game, once a resources is removed, it creates a positive feedback loop.  For FPS games, this is a good thing.

• Teams fighting prolonged battles must consider their positioning relative to downed enemies and the orbs that they drop.

Yes, this is interesting.  Again, this also promotes the positive feedback loop.  When you get a kill, you get access to healing which aids in getting another kill.

Overall, in an even fight, teams will poke each other until they get an edge.  Orbs prolong this by making it much harder to down a mech.  The only way I see orbs to have a huge offensive impact is when the other team doesn't have them, otherwise pokes will just happen naturally in a tactically sound area.

Orbs dampin the punishment for stupid play.

I think burst will be a lot better in a meta that doesn't have as much healing.

Also, I think the 'c' repair payoff is an interesting one.  To heal you give up your radar, movement and weapons.  I argue that orbs take away much of that interesting design.

Edited by LEmental, 08 June 2015 - 12:09 PM.

• _incitatus and CraftyDus like this

hkn_sign_lgbt_by_neraste-d8oyzga.png

spinningchurro

spinningchurro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Is there an updated version of this anywhere?

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

This doesn't have the death orb vs. item orb heal amount noted.

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Seriously why don't you guys just run some test pugs.

No orb or repkit/extract.

No orb.

No repkit/extract.

Just go run a pug or two with each rule set and see how the game plays. Discussion is definitely important, but you guys should probly also just go play and see if it's more/less fun.

• LEmental, ThirdEyE, crockrocket and 1 other like this

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Re: LEmental

Now whether you enjoy these tactical considerations is up for debate. What isn't is that they are there.

Remember that although you (or your team) may not enjoy certain mechanics, you cannot speak for the league at large, and you may not have its best interests in mind. 

• breadeffect and CraftyDus like this

Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

I don't know if it's necessarily OP, but playing against an entire team running MK3 EMP on every mech is the most irritating fuzzy bunny in the world.

• comic_sans and CraftyDus like this

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

I don't know if it's necessarily OP, but playing against an entire team running MK3 EMP on every mech is the most irritating fuzzy bunny in the world.

I agree, and I hope the meta doesn't devolve into MK3 EMP spam in the absence of orblording.

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Man I finally get a handle on Orblording for Jesus Deepz, and now I feel like a donkey in a helmet again.  Nuts.

AOTbYIL.png

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Almost every mech where I've replaced any orbbing internals now feels stronger and more capable in combat lol...

• coldform and LoC_TR like this

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

I think I missed where we started banning the internals related to orb lording instead of disabling death orbs.

• LoC_TR likes this

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

I think I missed where we started banning the internals related to orb lording instead of disabling death orbs.

Disabling death orbs does very little. You get to carry 3x as many on your person with very little downside. The internals do a much better job across the board.

Sure, banning them all might be excessive. But go out, play a few rounds and see for yourself.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Almost every mech where I've replaced any orbbing internals now feels stronger and more capable in combat lol...

I bet you replaced the now-banned healing mechanic augmentation with armor/speed augmentation.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Disabling death orbs does very little. You get to carry 3x as many on your person with very little downside. The internals do a much better job across the board.

Sure, banning them all might be excessive. But go out, play a few rounds and see for yourself.

It doesn't do very little. If you're comparing somebody with item orbs versus one death orb, yes 3>1.

I think banning them is excessive. I have seen for myself, thanks.

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
This needed to happen tbh. When a game has one blatantly superior build there's little sense in attempting different variations and play styles. At least now there's no clear cut winlord setup and burst mechs get a nice lil' buff.
  • ThirdEyE, _incitatus, comic_sans and 3 others like this

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I know G2Raider is kind of a running joke in the comp scene 

Orb builds are gone, but dare I ask...  Does that make having multiple G2Raiders a sensible idea to anyone but me?  Does that put the G2Raider on the same competitive level as gren (Vulgren or otherwise), vanguard, incin or the fat fuzzy bunnyng brawler?  Where might be the harm in letting a team try to really push itself competitively with 3 G2Raiders?  You heard it from super MLG pro Turdeye himself, its a joke mech.

The G2Exception would also allow for multiple G2As.  But Ive never seen one of those used by a serious team in a super serial TPG match.  Its not even a running joke. 

Bring back the G2Exception.  Just say it out loud, theres a nice ring to it, like its a real thing.

At least let some teams test it in preseason.

• ThirdEyE, Hyginos and eth0 like this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Someone should sum the changes/rules/restrictions to me cuz I'm lost y'all!

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Bring back the G2Exception.  Just say it out loud, theres a nice ring to it, like its a real thing.

There is no "back." It doesn't exist, it never existed. The G2R is a less competitive mech than say a Gren or a Brawler, but Jesus fuzzy bunnyng knows half this fuzzy bunnyng league can make the damn thing work against like a third of the teams. Arguably with the demise of orblording the G2A becomes more viable on open maps.

fuzzy bunny the G2 exception and run a gutsy comp if you wanna run a gutsy comp.

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

I bet you replaced the now-banned healing mechanic augmentation with armor/speed augmentation.

Well, I only ran extractor.  I replaced it with deflectors and/or fuel converter depending on the original setup.  On a few mechs I totally changed it up, and I added a few more duplicate mechs with different load-outs to my line up.  My fav is hawkins brawler with adv. reconstructor and armor fuser (or whichever one regens health on assists/kills).   In mayhem servers I am constantly generating health, hardly ever have to stop and heal. 

I feel like game play is a lot more fun now that a lot of higher level people are dropping the orb lord setup.  It's refreshing.

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

There is no "back." It doesn't exist, it never existed. The G2R is a less competitive mech than say a Gren or a Brawler, but Jesus fuzzy bunnyng knows half this fuzzy bunnyng league can make the damn thing work against like a third of the teams. Arguably with the demise of orblording the G2A becomes more viable on open maps.

fuzzy bunny the G2 exception and run a gutsy comp if you wanna run a gutsy comp.

It's like you're a huge party pooper, but you won't call the cops for a noise complaint.

Also yeah, these restrictions do make the g2r more viable, but it still doesn't have an airburst weapon and its ability is still kinda gimped.

Edited by &THC& comic_sans, 12 June 2015 - 09:28 AM.

AOTbYIL.png

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Updated OP with the following:

Would appreciate some feedback from participating players on our current bans: Repair Kit, Advanced Repair Kit, Basic Extractor, and Extractor.  Thoughts?

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I like seeing a more diverse array of builds now that orblording has been done away with.

• cavefishes likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Pretty good so far.  Orbs still feel very strong, but not overwhelmingly OP like before.

oSpBaPA.png

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Updated OP with the following:

Would appreciate some feedback from participating players on our current bans: Repair Kit, Advanced Repair Kit, Basic Extractor, and Extractor.  Thoughts?

Orbs are still a very popular item and it's use in matches a top tactic. The sharp of the cheese has been made milder.

lwY3QRd.jpg

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Orbs are still a very popular item and it's use in matches a top tactic. The sharp of the cheese has been made milder.

Hardly surprising given we're doing a point based game mode. Would be interesting to see how it would change for tdm.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts
In a protracted engagement orbs are still the superior item, but in quick hit and runs, dets and barriers seem to be effective along with the shields/emps standbys.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Hardly surprising given we're doing a point based game mode. Would be interesting to see how it would change for tdm

comp tdm

*shudders

lwY3QRd.jpg

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

TDM Confirmed S4

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

comp tdm
*shudders

That bad, huh? So, (TDM) is getting lucky by playing MA for our first time in the comp scene?

Well, my limited experience from the try-weeklys would answer that question... Right?

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

TDM Confirmed S4

nDSWamg.gif

That bad, huh? So, (TDM) is getting lucky by playing MA for our first time in the comp scene?

Well, my limited experience from the try-weeklys would answer that question... Right?

it gets......strategic

anigif_optimized-7289-1421440115-20.gif

• Nept and eth0 like this

lwY3QRd.jpg

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

After a few games last night in DM and against TANG, I'm not sure that the internal ban actually addressed the problem. Certainly, it limited orblording and opened up new common builds, but it did not address the disparity that orblording or now I guess orb stacking introduces to the game.

Last night I counted nine orbs on S2 on wreckage at one point. There wasn't a whole lot we were going to get done there to begin with and that sort of defensive set-up just makes the point uncrackable. I see the arguments about tactical flexibility and I buy it, but there's really only one function being used here and that's orb spam.

You see it in DM where people are running their TPG mechs too. The dropped orbs with 50 more HP just extend the health of a given mech so much more than when someone has that and a death orb, the difference between that and orblording is appreciable but irrelevant.

Therefore I propose removing the internal ban and implementing a ban on orb items, or at least testing this in a Try-Weekly or across teams. 

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

After a few games last night in DM and against TANG, I'm not sure that the internal ban actually addressed the problem. [...] Last night I counted nine orbs on S2 on wreckage at one point. There wasn't a whole lot we were going to get done there to begin with and that sort of defensive set-up just makes the point uncrackable.

First, I'm a member of TANG for disclosure purposes.

I don't think that 9 orbs after a Wreckage S2 battle is a clear example that orbs need to be further addressed. 9 orbs at the beginning of a battle would be a bit much. However, if there was a 3v3 rush on S2 with 4-5 total deaths on the point - plus any orb items players used - then I can reasonably expect a small frame of time where 9 orbs will remain. They won't all be fully charged, around half will dissipate within the next 10 seconds, and the only benefit those orbs provide after a battle of that size is helping the surviving team repair more quickly. They'll repair around 2-3 seconds quicker than otherwise.

That being said, I'm open to further experimentation on item and internal restrictions like Amid suggested.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TPG, NeptIsGreat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users