• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

hestoned

hestoned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

what was wrong with the old way the server browser worked? you know like i just organize it from highest rated to lowest and just choose the highest available one? what was wrong with that? why have i been forsaken hawken?

• claisolais, comic_sans, OmniStone and 1 other like this

Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

what was wrong with the old way the server browser worked? you know like i just organize it from highest rated to lowest and just choose the highest available one? what was wrong with that? why have i been forsaken hawken?

This.

Yes, the server browser used to do the following:

- If there were no matches in your MMR range available, the closest available server to your MMR for each game type will was unlocked for you (i.e. if you were a 2600-rated player and the highest-rated server in the browser for a given game type was 1900, that server was made available to you, despite being outside your MMR range).

- If there were no available servers in your MMR range and the server closest to your MMR rating for a given game type was full, the next closest was unlocked, and so forth.

Basically, there was always at least one game open that you could join regardless of MMR.

This went away with the Ascension patch, and that is the reason high-ranked players smurf. That functionality needs to return. In fact I was considering making a thread specifically to draw attention to that.

Quickmatching is garbage and not a solution because frequently it will simply tell you no matches were found or it just dumps you in an empty server by yourself that nobody else can join because your e-peen is astronomical. It's stupid.

Edited by Dew, 05 April 2015 - 05:36 PM.

• DieselCat and OmniStone like this

Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

You could just limit the amount of accounts someone can make via there IP by lets say 5....5 isn't too little is it? I mean where talking about 5  accounts here, who needs that many accounts? And if you get let's say 4 out of 5 accounts banned, you get a permanent IP banned. Just a thought.......................

Hold on to the things you care about most, even if others see it as insignificant..If you can't be true to yourself, are you really living?

W4znwFO.jpg1sHSjPn.png1sHSjPn.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngbANk8SP.jpgMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.png1sHSjPn.pngW4znwFO.jpg

Dew

Dew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Any restrictions based on IP address would be laughably easy to circumvent.

EDIT: And that doesn't really address the reason why high-level players smurf to begin with. People think we smurf because we enjoy stomping low level lobbies, which is completely untrue (although I will not deny some people smurf for that purpose). Mostly we just want to be able to play the damn game.

Edited by Dew, 05 April 2015 - 07:17 PM.

DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

If one logs into a 3 star match and checks the 'mmr'...you can get a pretty good idea who is who as the match progresses if say the 'mmr' range is something like 1600-2400..1500-1950  1500-2250..etc. Which does happen frequently.

I understand that higher tier pilots still have less server options due to the current number of players and want to get in matches as much as everyone else.

So one of the few things those players can do is create an alt account, which is usually no fun for them or the lower tier pilots because the matches are unbalanced due to the sometimes large disparity in skill and causes blowouts.

Yes, the theory of improve your game, improve your skill to raise one's 'mmr' will help the overall balance of the game, but I'm sure a lot of players are not  interested, or want to aspire becoming a top player or strive for a much higher 'mmr'.Just want to play on a casual basis, nothing wrong with that.

But until Hawken can grow it's player base considerably from where it is now and then keep those players, things like unbalanced matches will happen more than they should for reasons such as having to create a smurf account just to be able to play.

I hope that really good players that do this and abuse matches at the lower levels realize how great an effect it can have on the overall gaming experience which may turn away potential new players and even some older ones.

Edited by DieselCat, 05 April 2015 - 07:38 PM.

Just Relax....and take life one game at a time....

Don't run to your death....walk

th_Duckman.jpg   th_82c0a97c-98de-4aac-be47-05e5e099be80.

*+

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Every game I play or have played I have had a ton of alts. Its just my nature. I'm a Alt-O-Holic, lol. I am NOT a high MMR player. I sit around 1550 avg. I have Nov8tr my main. I have I_Come_In_Peace, Old_Man_Nov, Robo_Tech and Comfortably_Numb. I do not hide my accts. I do not try to pretend I am new with lame statements like "I just started a hour ago! I am really lucky. I use to play "insert name here" game and so thats why I'm so good. I see that too much now. I have got my avg MMR up from around 1525 to 1550 over the past few months. But I rotate on my accts so much all my alts stay the same area too. So I am not stomping anyone. I use to be better a long time ago before my medical problems go so much worse. I still play because I really love the game and it helps keep me from turning into a couch potato. BUT that said, yes smurfing by high level players is a problem. And the "innocent" statements don't fly most of the time. They talk crap, put players down, say really rude crap to everyone. Call people names. Be sure to tell others how much they suck. Lie about their true level or identity. Travel in teams a LOT. Or come in, stomp everyone and leave to do the same in another match. Or when you call them out like I do, they follow you from match to match with the server browser and stomp you. Yeah please don't tell me how its because you can't get a match, fuzzy bunny. In case it censors, BS! The high level smurfing needs to stop.

*EDIT* I had a friend point out that he read this as I mean all the high MMR players. No, no. Not all many of you are my friends. People I've known for years. I hope none of you took offense at my post. I would say half or less of the 1800 and up people do do it. I see them. Some say so. Some lie. I recognize some play style or the mechs they use. And of course the fact they are just stomping people. I see skill as fighiting someone of equal or a little better and winning. That is good. Stomping people below you because you can, is wrong. Period. You can "justify" it to yourself anyway you want. But there are many of my friends who are high MMR and they too are fighting the pub stomps. We need more people this is a fact. They will not stay if they get stomped all the time. These are both irrefuteable facts. If we are to grow, and we HAVE to to for the game to survive. We have to change. Change is not bad. It is a normal part of life. I know it's hard for some. Please join me in change for the better. please?

Edited by Nov8tr, 25 June 2015 - 03:32 PM.

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
The last response was in APRIL.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts
You could just limit the amount of accounts someone can make via there IP by lets say 5....5 isn't too little is it? I mean where talking about 5  accounts here, who needs that many accounts? And if you get let's say 4 out of 5 accounts banned, you get a permanent IP banned. Just a thought.......................

no you can't, for example, my internet provider give a one IP for many computers in web, so, if several people from my district (my Neighbours) starting play in hawken i just will be banned without any reason.

also, I don't have a smurf. I actually don't see the reason to use it. on my current account i have a many mech, almost 3 types of the same mech (like brawler with flak, brawler with SA, brawler for duels, brawler for...etc.), when i play i can easy change my mech for any situation in battle. if you create smurf, you can use only one mech in fight :(

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

I have 3 smurf account, the frist one was created because my main was trapped by an account bug, I stopped using it.

The second, I was intent to creat a public account, stopped using it as well.

My thrid account....If I have bad LAGs (almost every match lately)  and I still want to play, I'll go with it.  should I stop using it or should I stop play the game with current network?

Sry I thought it is a new discussion, since this question never ends...How can I delete this reply?

Edited by claisolais, 27 June 2015 - 05:02 PM.

Ic6j9zJ.png

kaiserschmarrn_

kaiserschmarrn_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

I made a smurf account just two weeks ago, but that was because my friend was living with me and we got sick of playing in different lobbies.

Now he's gone, and I'll forget about the account.

"But Meatball, you could have partied with him"

I sure could have, but I sure didn't. Partying throws the balance off too much.

If there are solutions to this problem though, I would really like to know them. Smurfing really isn't that enjoyable, and I'd much rather be spending time on my main.

hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

. :tongue:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: smurf, smurfing, mmr, matchmaking

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users