HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Predator (fun but bad_)

Game

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: Predator (157 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the predator too weak

1. Yes, it needs better weapons (56 votes [24.03%])

Percentage of vote: 24.03%

2. Yes, it needs to be able to stay invsible when firing (16 votes [6.87%])

Percentage of vote: 6.87%

3. Yes, it needsto be able to stay invisible when laying mines (48 votes [20.60%])

Percentage of vote: 20.60%

4. Yes, the heat sensor needs to work regardless of stealth (21 votes [9.01%])

Percentage of vote: 9.01%

5. Yes, it needs some (other) improvment (45 votes [19.31%])

Percentage of vote: 19.31%

6. No its balanced (39 votes [16.74%])

Percentage of vote: 16.74%

7. No its overpowered and should be weakend (8 votes [3.43%])

Percentage of vote: 3.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Dinre

Dinre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted November 25 2013 - 05:01 PM

It's interesting to me, but I find the Predator to be an exceptional scout and the Scout to be an intimidating predator.

Posted Image

#22 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted November 25 2013 - 06:32 PM

Give it one of the Reaper primaries and you really do have a Mech!!

#23 BreakfastShark

BreakfastShark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 03:03 PM

please a little less heat on the predator EOC, the heat-to-damage ratio so damn bad with either the EOC or the breacher as primary.  Straight up can't use both weapons at the same time to fight a B-mechs or larger without overheating.  Much worse with C-mechs, they can literally just sit there and the predator will overheat before it's able to make the kill.  Right now the predator relies on either a detonator or HE to be able to dish enough damage to actually kill something from full health.

alternatively, take away either the generator or fuel tank, and give it cooling units instead.  That way at least the player can do something about overheating.  Besides, the fuel related internals are worthless for predator anyways since it rarely boosts or flies.

#24 KissKiss

KissKiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 08:01 PM

I'm fine with the Pred's alpha. Getting the drop on people is a big enough advantage without being able to instagib them.

Heat is an issue. EOC pred doesn't really synergise with predator vision. Its really impossible to be proactive about trapping. You can't scout an enemy and quickly lay a trap ahead of them because it reveals your position. Then you have the issue with them detonating on proximity and doing no damage; if you lay them on walls they detonate before your enemy has fully turned the corner, if you lay them on the floor they are easy to spot.

So yeah, cool idea and I'm glad the intention seems to be for it to stalk an enemy and set an ambush or whittle their health away rather than to crit people to pieces before they can retaliate.

#25 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 08 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'm convinced that the breacher is the dominant primary choice by a landslide. Also, although the EOC P has a faster fire rate than other secondaries you should only be firing it with the same frequency you would other secondaries because of the nature of the projectile. The heat generation makes using the EOC P a waiting game for direct hits and guaranteed detonations when in a fire fight, the increased fire rate over other secondaries will only be utilized during trap laying. Focus on landing your breacher shots (charged) and ONLY indulge in secondary fire when you are sure the heat will pay off. The EOC P is the only secondary I believe that can overheat you all on its own.

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#26 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted January 08 2014 - 02:25 PM

Alternative suggestion to improve Predator give it the Sabot rifle as its prestige wepeon!

#27 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted January 08 2014 - 02:26 PM

Alternative suggestion to improve Predator give it the Sabot rifle as its prestige wepeon!

#28 leviestrada

leviestrada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted January 08 2014 - 02:29 PM

I believe that whit a little of less heat generated its quite enough
2014-02-15_00007.jpg
btw I love playing -smiley mustached face-

#29 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted January 13 2014 - 01:17 PM

Say everytime, and say now...
Predator need fixed detonation your mines while you boost. All other no need.

#30 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted January 17 2014 - 12:28 PM

I grew with nep, all it needs is time to learn, once you have a play style for it you can pub stomp easily, took me months but now I am getting better at it, I have the bet k/d with it too :3
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#31 motakudgi

motakudgi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 04:23 PM

breacher as shotgun is weak.
Better charge it even in close-range because of damage.

Mine launcher should work just like eoc repeater, except one thing: the more mines we are charging-in, the less is distance they travel.
Or it needs some other way for laying several mines fast (additional fire mode on mmb).

Just imo

#32 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 05:12 PM

View Postmotakudgi, on January 17 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

breacher as shotgun is weak.
Better charge it even in close-range because of damage.
agree here but its good for declocking other preds

Mine launcher should work just like eoc repeater, except one thing: the more mines we are charging-in, the less is distance they travel.
Or it needs some other way for laying several mines fast (additional fire mode on mmb).
lol eoc-P is made to be more of a trap making weapon and still be used in 1v1 situations, it just takes time to learn how to use it at what time and were

Just imo

"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "

#33 plons

plons

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 07:49 PM

primary weapon fires way to slow

#34 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted January 17 2014 - 08:02 PM

View Postplons, on January 17 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

primary weapon fires way to slow
but what if it was higher , it would be a spam weapon :C

#35 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted January 18 2014 - 02:36 PM

Sometimes I see some pred who very fast might kill me...But they are cheat0rs!11
XD

Seriously, if 1 pilot can play on pred good, and 99 other - no. This does not mean that the mech is bad. It mean that 99 pilots - bad
=3

#36 Dinre

Dinre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 10:03 AM

After a decent amount of experience in a Predator, I have found that it seems to fill very niche roles.  As an all-around mech, I would say the Predator is inferior to many other mechs, but I think the Predator can also fill some new and interesting roles.

For instance, scouting with the Predator is AWESOME, since you can get behind enemy lines and call them out as they rush by.  As a ganker, the Predator also excels, because you can use pred vision to see when a wounded mech is retreating to repair and hit them as soon as they get comfy.

In general, I think playing the Predator will become more fun and more useful for competitive teams.  Playing on pubs just doesn't allow your team to take full advantage of the capabilities of the Predator.

Posted Image

#37 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted January 30 2014 - 07:09 AM

View PostDinre, on January 23 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

After a decent amount of experience in a Predator, I have found that it seems to fill very niche roles.  As an all-around mech, I would say the Predator is inferior to many other mechs, but I think the Predator can also fill some new and interesting roles.

For instance, scouting with the Predator is AWESOME, since you can get behind enemy lines and call them out as they rush by.  As a ganker, the Predator also excels, because you can use pred vision to see when a wounded mech is retreating to repair and hit them as soon as they get comfy.

In general, I think playing the Predator will become more fun and more useful for competitive teams.  Playing on pubs just doesn't allow your team to take full advantage of the capabilities of the Predator.
exactly! perfectly said, although you can do a super awesome alpha strikes with traps, i just love standing there waiting, than detonate the mine, A-class dioes, player freaks, then on kill cam he sees me de-cloak and just walk away hehehehe *evil look >:D*

#38 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 02 2014 - 08:01 PM

It just needs to be able of detonating mines (secondary weapon) in midair; IMHO.

Maybe by adding a negative damage modifier when you do that.. (_ -> now playing the Twilight Zone's theme here). :D

Ref. Iteration: /* Weapon projectile is stuck to anything_ If not then apply damage negative modifier */.. or something..

Edited by The_Silencer, February 02 2014 - 08:07 PM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#39 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted February 03 2014 - 05:44 AM

My performance highly depends on my team; if my team doesn't damage any opponent, I won't be able to do anything, either.
If my team damages something, I kill it; this may not be a very honorable tactic, but it usually gains me 1st place if my team's damaging alot of people.

Personally, I prefer the EOC R on my Pred.
The firepower of a charged EOC R, Detonator MK3 and EOC P pretty much ensures my victory against an already low-HP opponent.

Some gameplay tips:
- Only fire if you're sure you'll be able to land a hit; if you miss a few shots, you're dead due to overheating without killing your opponent.
- If you're not that good at scoring direct hits on people with both EOC weapons, try aiming at the ground.

Some item tips:
- I'd reccomend going with a Det MK3 and the Item Regenerator, if you can manage to kill most opponents quickly.
- If you need some more time to kill them, I'd say go for Det MK3 and EMP MK1.

My style:
I'd reccomend a full Muller with Res arms for this guy, if you can't afford any of the special Chassis parts.
I personally prefer a black paintjob; however, I just use a cheaper color with the Saturation down to 0.

If you can, though, I'd reccomend the Hiefram Star Chassis, Res arms, Assault legs and a red/orange paintjob.

And if you want to be REALLY awesome, go for those JET-IGNITE thrusters, or whatever they're called.

TL;DR: Pred's balanced, you just need EOC R and a team that damages alot of people, if you play like me.
End of my longest post so far :o

Posted Image

Spoiler

#40 Ysenberg

Ysenberg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted February 03 2014 - 07:00 AM

I was recently leveling my Penetr...Predator and found him to be a lot better than his reputation. Coming from Reaper and Grenadier i like the amount of time the cloak gives you to figre out a plan, then hit.

Alpha-strikes are fun, sneaking is awesome.
I think the Pred is fine where it is now, but the complaint about Hellfire locks should be heard unless logic defies it.

Ysen

[font=times new roman', times, serif]O Lord, bless this Thy holy grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.[/font]

[font=times new roman', times, serif]  Grenadiers do it around the corner...^^ [/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]W[/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]andering guns #103: [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ysenberg[/font][/font]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users