- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

Hayseed

Hayseed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Its an exploit I've been seeing quite often in matches, you see an enemy mech step into a grav lift and you immediately know "hey, they are going to land somewhere HERE" so you open fire, seeing that they are trapped.....until they use air compressor to dodge. 

Not only does the air compressor displace the mech, it also cancels out the Grav lifts effects, meaning that it is no longer being delivered to its doom.

I'm considering this a glitch because you are not even able to boost or "jump" while being lifted by grav lifts...why should you be able to dodge?

On maps like Origin, this leads to alot of the following shenanigans.

1.) step into lift

2.) wait until you are high enough to see the enemy waiting on the AA

3.) Fire TOW, or GL, or whatever to poke at the enemy

4.) Air compress out of lift.

5.) Rinse and repeat

This combo is sometimes paired with stabilizer, so that the mech can descend as rapidly as possible without taking fall damage.

• Niels and HorseHeadProphet like this

HorseHeadProphet

HorseHeadProphet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

agree. you should be able to use AC, out of a jump-pad boost, but not lose lift.

• StubbornPuppet likes this

The Hawken forum's a forum, but it's like the only one you get yelled at for using.

Kittles

Kittles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Or maybe like.. give mechs actual air control when using them.

• dorobo, Aregon, -Tj- and 4 others like this

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Or maybe you could get gud:) In all seriousness, blaming game mechanics for making the game too hard instead of improving is never a wise decision. 

• Grollourdo, comic_sans, peacecraftSLD and 2 others like this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Or maybe you could get gud:) In all seriousness, blaming game mechanics for making the game too hard instead of improving is never a wise decision. 

Really? Did we not discuss these kinds of responses and decide it was NOT in the best interest of the game to tell ppl to "get gud", "LTP" and all the other crap.

• Grollourdo and Hayseed like this

Asus Rampage III Extreme, Core I7 950, Dual EVGA 580Ti, 16Gb G.Skill Sniper, 240Gb PNY SSD, Walmart mic :P~

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

No this one just straight doesn't make sense. The AC in general use defies game physics but its a minor thing that 99% of people don't consider. And while it's an intentional programming choice, not an exploit, it is a pretty poor one, and nonsensical to boot.

• Grollourdo, Niels and Dawn_of_Ash like this

HassanTheAssassin

HassanTheAssassin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

yup. Origin (and Facility to a lesser degree) is the precise reason i have mechs in all 3 classes with AC + Extractor + Shock Absorber (more to come, as HC flows in...)

6ABoEdp.png

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Oh, a discussion involving Air Compressor?

csn someone either post a popcorn-eating gif, or that "Dis gon b gud" one? On mobile :c

• Merl61, Pure_Amazing and HassanTheAssassin like this

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

No this one just straight doesn't make sense. The AC in general use defies game physics but its a minor thing that 99% of people don't consider. And while it's an intentional programming choice, not an exploit, it is a pretty poor one, and nonsensical to boot.

Both sides of this argument are quite subjective. 

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

I enjoy using the air comp to get out of the incredibly predictable flight path all the pads send you on.  I can even nail people with uncharged heat shots on that slow, slow rise.

Also, I file this more under "smart tactical decision" than "exploit", though basically everything in hawken is shenanigans.

Edited by &THC& comic_sans, 25 May 2015 - 03:23 PM.

• coldform, Merl61, Odinous and 4 others like this

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

Blaz0re

Blaz0re

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

AC was implemented to upgrade maneuverability in the air. I don't get the complaint, it's just what it does. Being a 3 slot item I don't think the AC is OP.

"hey, they are going to land somewhere HERE" so you open fire, seeing that they are trapped.....until they use air compressor to dodge. 

I can understand if it can be tricky to dodge immediately after getting on the launchpad to stay on the ground, but if it's short before the landing, your speed won't be that fast and it's not much different from dodging while hovering. But I'm not sure if I understand this sentence right. I just don't think it's an extreme situation that needs to be adressed because it's exploited. To me it's just part of the game and part of the AC.
I personally think it makes the AC viable, not only to dodge and trick other players, but also while you are going for the AA on origin, after delivering EU you can get to the jumppad leading towards the plateau and cancel your z-axis momentum and getting to the aa faster.
It just rewards skilled players.

• Odinous likes this

Hayseed

Hayseed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Look people, "smart tactical decisions" ARE, in fact, EXPLOITS! Whether you like it or not, when you make a smart and tactical decision you are exploiting something in the game. An advantage you have, or a disadvantage your opponent has. Maneuvering to the backside of a turreted C-class mech is a smart and tactical decision that exploits the C-class mech's weakness of taking more damage from behind and slow turning radius.

Anyways, the point of this post IS NOT to discuss how to properly phrase the action, it's to bring attention to it, and hopefully come to a resolution about it.

Let me be clear.

I am looking for balance.

If a mech can use Air Compressor during a lift, then I want to be able to boost during a lift.

If the devs want the grav's to continue to "lock" your mech in and refuse you the ability to boost, then the ability to air dodge should be eliminated as well.

Don't get me wrong, I hate AC. Especially on Berserker assholes (that's a smart, tactical decision based on how OP the TOW is, the maneuverability of A-class mechs, the Zerker's high armor rating, and the Zerker's ability, but whatever), but I at least can make some sense of it on a A-class mech. But seeing B and even C- class mechs use it JUST TO CANCEL GRAV LIFTS is just...well...silly...someone should do something about it

Nightfirebolt

Nightfirebolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

I'm considering this a glitch because you are not even able to boost or "jump" while being lifted by grav lifts...why should you be able to dodge?

This isn't true. You can use the spacebar to boost vertically during a jump, but only after you've reached the top point of the jump pad's projected arc.

This allows you to do things like, say, land on the highest ledge in the main open area in Uptown without having to go up the ramps. Or in Origin, you can make it onto the top of the AA platform from the jump pad that doesn't quite send you there.

I wish I had a video in my pocket to demonstrate. Maybe I'll make one later.

Perhaps they need to just remove the restrictions on boosting from jump pads altogether, it would make things less confusing.

Edited by Nightfirebolt, 25 May 2015 - 03:56 PM.

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

This isn't true. You can use the spacebar to boost vertically during a jump, but only after you've reached the top point of the jump pad's projected arc.

This allows you to do things like, say, land on the highest ledge in the main open area in Uptown without having to go up the ramps. Or in Origin, you can make it onto the top of the AA platform from the jump pad that doesn't quite send you there.

I wish I had a video in my pocket to demonstrate. Maybe I'll make one later.

Perhaps they need to just remove the restrictions on boosting from jump pads altogether, it would make things less confusing.

That's just it, you have to wait for boost to kick in AFTER the pad has lost it's "grip" on your mech. You don't get to speed the jump with boost.  Ideal situation, get rid of air dodge :P~

Asus Rampage III Extreme, Core I7 950, Dual EVGA 580Ti, 16Gb G.Skill Sniper, 240Gb PNY SSD, Walmart mic :P~

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Look people, "smart tactical decisions" ARE, in fact, EXPLOITS! Whether you like it or not, when you make a smart and tactical decision you are exploiting something in the game. An advantage you have, or a disadvantage your opponent has. Maneuvering to the backside of a turreted C-class mech is a smart and tactical decision that exploits the C-class mech's weakness of taking more damage from behind and slow turning radius.

Anyways, the point of this post IS NOT to discuss how to properly phrase the action, it's to bring attention to it, and hopefully come to a resolution about it.

Let me be clear.

I am looking for balance.

If a mech can use Air Compressor during a lift, then I want to be able to boost during a lift.

If the devs want the grav's to continue to "lock" your mech in and refuse you the ability to boost, then the ability to air dodge should be eliminated as well.

Don't get me wrong, I hate AC. Especially on Berserker assholes (that's a smart, tactical decision based on how OP the TOW is, the maneuverability of A-class mechs, the Zerker's high armor rating, and the Zerker's ability, but whatever), but I at least can make some sense of it on a A-class mech. But seeing B and even C- class mechs use it JUST TO CANCEL GRAV LIFTS is just...well...silly...someone should do something about it

I also feel like this is a stupid thing to get stuck over.  Plus, if someone intended to get to the top of the level and had to airdodge after you shot them and they spotted you, you might have delayed backup to the rest of the team well enough to have done a good thing.

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

HassanTheAssassin

HassanTheAssassin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

why wait for the top? maybe do this: lead just a tad, and track him right up the butt with sustain. he'll top out dead or nearly so, then pop him at the dodge cooldown pause, or track him back down to the basement if that's where he "falls" to. AR Infil is a babe for these.

:D

Edited by HassanTheAssassin, 25 May 2015 - 05:37 PM.

6ABoEdp.png

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts
1.) step into lift

2.) wait until you are high enough to see the enemy waiting on the AA

3.) Fire TOW, or GL, or whatever to poke at the enemy

4.) Air compress out of lift.

5.) Rinse and repeat Get shredded by whatever smc/ar/vulcan mech happens to be looking at you.

FTFY. You're still constrained by the up and down, and are pretty vulnerable once you hit a lift weather or not you have an AC.

Air compressor out of jump pads adds depth. Perhaps it should be a bit like Air 180 in that it still shorts the jump but doesn't stop you cold, but IMO the jump pad interactions are fine as they are right now.

• talons1337 and comic_sans like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

There are many ways you can combat this. The most basic would be to move to a spot where they can't poke you as easily if at all.

I get that you're brining attention to something you see as very powerful, but you have to understand hawken has had zero major content or balance updates for a very long time and much of the game at this point is known to the majority of people who use the forums as they tend to be the more involved group currently playing the game. Don't get me wrong, not everything in this game has been discovered. For example until recently it was unknown that certain items could be affected by the jump pads in the same way a mech can. A little patience goes a long way and if you work at it, being able to handle those previously difficult situations with ease will be one of the most satisfying things. I promise

reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

I'm sorry that you are upset about the game not wanting to give you your well-deserved free damage, but I just don't see how this is an exploit. You are ACing midair, makes perfect sense to me. Quite the trivial subject to be complaining about.

• (KDR) SethUK and WillyW like this

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Oh, a discussion involving Air Compressor?

csn someone either post a popcorn-eating gif, or that "Dis gon b gud" one? On mobile :c

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

• Aregon, Rainbow_Sheep, Derpy Hooves and 1 other like this

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

I am tempted to actually test this out and calculate the force required to first stop a mech mid-air, then the force to move it to the where you want to dodge. Already I can see that it would be difficult as I don't have the mass of each of the mechs and most of my calculations would have to be guessing masses, guessing forces, guessing velocities/speeds - over all, it would not be a very accurate experiment and would not yield very accurate results.

But without even doing any of these calculations, I can already see that currently what is happening with the jump-pads and the Air Compressor, shouldn't. Firstly, let's just analyse what is happening with this not-so-simple-but-simple maneuver. Firstly, the mech is stopping mid-air. Not slowing down, but instantly, and very suddenly, stopping. Without even going into equations of physics, we know that if you are moving fast and stop very suddenly, you feel it. Example; When you are going fast in a car and crash, you are flung forward (due to the Law of Inertia) and (if you have it on) you are stopped by your seat-belt (which reduces the force that acts on your body by spreading out the force by increasing time your body is in contact with the seat-belt) but you feel still feel that force when you first make contract with your seat-belt. But regardless, your car is still damaged. The faster, the greater the damage.

If you feel the force at a reduced time, you feel a greater force. Assuming that the pilot of the mech has these force reduced through some sort of advanced seat-belt, this still does stop the force that the actual mech experiences like the car in the car accident. By standing on that jump-pad and getting boosted upwards and using the Air Compressor you are literally hitting a wall of air when you stop suddenly. You are literally going from a speed of, let's say 5-10 metres per second to zero - which I admit is not all that much, but that is not including mass and weight to the equation which would cause a much greater force against the mech. It would literally be like jumping in a low-ceiling room and banging your head on said ceiling. If these mechs are remotely like a humanoid figure, the top of a mech would be less immune to the force than the legs which experiences it every-time the mech is standing. After this damage, the mech would have to dash to the side, which is common to all moments when used with the AC and dodging overall, which I guess the mech has protection against as dodging is a key element to combat. Using the Air Compressor in this situation should be dealing damage to the mech at the very least.

Overall, I don't think that the Air Compressor has nearly enough power to produce a force which would directly stop a mech mid-air AND dash that mech to a direction, which would require a much greater force-dampener. What the Air Compressor should be doing is pushing the mech in the direction they are boosting, but do not stop the ascent - reduce is possibly, but not outright stop it.

But even then, I've already ignored a key component to stop something! There needs to be an opposing force! In the previous car-crash example, the opposing force was the force of whatever the car crashed into, onto the car. Most obvious reason in the example is that Air Compressor is aimed diagonally downward against wherever the jump-pad was boosting them too - that should stop the ascent AND dash them to wherever they want to go, right? Well, yes, but it should do more than just that. To counter-act the force upwards, there needs to be a force downwards but according to what is currently happening, that reaction force is exactly the same amount of force that the mech is going up by. Exact. If there is an unbalance in these forces, the mech would would either be boosted up a bit, or boosted down. Not directly right or left. To predict this force, it is difficult, not to mention that these forces would also depend on the situation. Not something that I expect would be a high priority on the Prosk or Crion mechanics/mech-designer.

I'm going to stop this wall of text here as I can see that I am beginning to repeat myself. Overall, I can just say that this simple maneuver is not very simple and that it actually should damage your mech by doing it. It is also quite inaccurate and untrue - although not completely wrong as it is possible, but, again, unlikely. 

WillyW

WillyW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

By your own logic, using the AC to get out of a jump pad is an exploit. But by your own admission, you like the fact that a jump pad has a predictable path and is easy to shoot. Is that not another exploit of your own? You kind of sound a bit hypocritical is all I'm trying to say.

Overall though, I do agree to allowing boost during jump pads in the same way that AC dodges are implemented.

2XhpJes.png

Niels

Niels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

It's not an all or nothing. AC could be modified to keep most/all of the vertical momentum (instead of the abrupt stop we have now).

This way, you still get a huge advantage over others with jump pads (such as dodging TOWs), and it looks less silly. Right now it's just a "Get Out Of Jail For Free" card on Origin's pads.

• DerMax and Guns_N_Rozer like this

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

How does it defy game physics in general?

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

How does it defy game physics in general?

Check my massive post. Although I would not say that it defies physics, rather that it just doesn't completely follow it.

Edited by Dawn_of_Ash, 26 May 2015 - 03:05 AM.

reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

SCIENCE

SCIENCE IN A FICTIONAL WORLD WHERE MECHANICS AND PHYSICS DON'T EVEN MAKE ANY LOGICAL SENSE TO BEGIN WITH! WOOHOO

Edited by reVelske, 26 May 2015 - 03:13 AM.

• (KDR) SethUK likes this

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

This whole air movement thing could be much smoother and more pleasant. What I never liked about old unreal is that jagged side dodge move thats why I stayed with q3 rocket jumping  :ninja:

tumblr_m0pwcsaKpX1ro0nnoo1_500.gif

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
The fact that you need an internal (be it AC or air-180) to escape an otherwise heavily exploitable death trap is more of a problem than not getting a free shot against jump pad users. As Kittles said, there should be more air control when using one instead of pre-determined paths.
  • Zuurkern, Epsilon_Knight and WillyW like this

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Check my massive post. Although I would not say that it defies physics, rather that it just doesn't completely follow it.

I said "in general". I did not say "in relation to jump pads". Mostly because he was talking about generally defying physics, which it does not as mechs fall as they dodge while in the air. Given how short the dodge is, it actually falls just as fast as it would were it not using the AC, so again, in what way does it defy physics in general?

Also, it's safe to assume that everything these mechs do is heavily augmented by computers. Those jump pads may communicate with said computers giving the mech all of the required information to stop the mechs ascent. It's also safe to assume that pilots are wearing flight suits that are designed to keep blood where it is much like fighter pilots wear. This can be derived from the floating hud which is most likely displayed inside of the viser of a helmet much like fighter pilots wear.

Also, also. Cavorite, while a weak excuse, is a.pretty good one given the forces these mechs go through per match.

So saying it defies any kind of physics is kind of silly as everything either conforms or is easily explained.

Edited by BaronSaturday, 26 May 2015 - 03:56 AM.

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

I said "in general". I did not say "in relation to jump pads". Mostly because he was talking about generally defying physics, which it does not as mechs fall as they dodge while in the air. Given how short the dodge is, it actually falls just as fast as it would were it not using the AC, so again, in what way does it defy physics in general?

Also, it's safe to assume that everything these mechs do is heavily augmented by computers. Those jump pads may communicate with said computers giving the mech all of the required information to stop the mechs ascent. It's also safe to assume that pilots are wearing flight suits that are designed to keep blood where it is much like fighter pilots wear. This can be derived from the floating hud which is most likely displayed inside of the viser of a helmet much like fighter pilots wear.

Also, also. Cavorite, while a weak excuse, is a.pretty good one given the forces these mechs go through per match.

So saying it defies any kind of physics is kind of silly as everything either conforms or is easily explained.

Like you mentioned, Cavorite is a weak excuse but a legitimate one so I will give you that point.

But that mention about computers in the jump-pad or in the mech which gives communicates the amount of force required to stop you dead on at any distance afterward is where I disagree. Heavily. If the engineers had this amount of technology, then they would be wasting resources by creating it. The game is based in an post-apocalyptic era where I thought resources were needed for everything, which was the reason why the mechs are put together by scraps. Not to mention that it actually offers very minimal advantage. While I do know that your comment was about if it defied physics, I did not make the comment that it did. I only mentioned that it would be hard to create and the reason behind doing so was pointless. Unless I misinterpreted your comment, which therefor I am sorry. Building computers that adjusts how much throttle the Air Compressor pushes would be a waste of valuable resources that can be used for far better, and profitable, things.

As for the Air Compressor in general, I can say that mechs do not fall down while they are side-dashing in the air, which doesn't defy physics. Consider it like firing a bullet. There is very minimal height loss due to the bullets small mass. Mechs do not follow this small mass however, and do weight a lot more, therefor they should follow an arc as an arrow does. To push a mech directly left or right against gravity, your thrusters/Air Compressor would have to put out A LOT of force. But let's say that this is what happens. Still doesn't explain why your mech almost stops after that massive thruster boost. I think that "The Law of Inertia" says that the object is going to continue to go in the direction until there is an equal and opposite force which could: a.) Be the friction of the ground. b) Your thrusters boosting in the opposite direction for a very short moment which would greatly reduce this speed, c.) The air of the planet opposing the speed of the mech due to it's massively high wind turbulences - a theory that would not sustain life, but we still haven't seen any living creature in outside air other than the Yeti, right? (Oh wait, Last Eco...), or finally d.) it is so because god said so - aka, it's just a game and it doesn't need to 100% follow physics.

My money is on d).

Edited by Dawn_of_Ash, 26 May 2015 - 04:36 AM.

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Like you mentioned, Cavorite is a weak excuse but a legitimate one so I will give you that point.

But that mention about computers in the jump-pad or in the mech which gives communicates the amount of force required to stop you dead on at any distance afterward is where I disagree. Heavily. If the engineers had this amount of technology, then they would be wasting resources by creating it. The game is based in an post-apocalyptic era where I thought resources were needed for everything, which was the reason why the mechs are put together by scraps. Not to mention that it actually offers very minimal advantage. While I do know that your comment was about if it defied physics, I did not make the comment that it did. I only mentioned that it would be hard to create and the reason behind doing so was pointless. Unless I misinterpreted your comment, which therefor I am sorry. Building computers that adjusts how much throttle the Air Compressor pushes would be a waste of valuable resources that can be used for far better, and profitable, things.

As for the Air Compressor in general, I can say that mechs do not fall down while they are side-dashing in the air, which doesn't defy physics. Consider it like firing a bullet. There is very minimal height loss due to the bullets small mass. Mechs do not follow this small mass however, and do weight a lot more, therefor they should follow an arc as an arrow does. To push a mech directly left or right against gravity, your thrusters/Air Compressor would have to put out A LOT of force. But let's say that this is what happens. Still doesn't explain why your mech almost stops after that massive thruster boost. I think that "The Law of Inertia" says that the object is going to continue to go in the direction until there is an equal and opposite force which could: a.) Be the friction of the ground. b) Your thrusters boosting in the opposite direction for a very short moment which would greatly reduce this speed, c.) The air of the planet opposing the speed of the mech due to it's massively high wind turbulences - a theory that would not sustain life, but we still haven't seen any living creature in outside air other than the Yeti, right? (Oh wait, Last Eco...), or finally d.) it is so because god said so - aka, it's just a game and it doesn't need to 100% follow physics.

My money is on d).

No no, they do fall as they dash. I'll make a video and update this post.

As for the jumpads, they function. They could be still functioning tech from before the Crion incident. To be fair, in Origin it makes no sense for that to be the case. Or, mining opps were set up and jump pads were created to get from point a to point b.

As for the laws of inrtia, I give you stunt pilots who do any type of lomcovak or flat spin to face backwards and they do it at full speed. It's essentially taking your forward energey and almost immediately turning it into reverse energy.

Edit: There's nothing saying it can't have RCS thrusters the push down. It is an air compressor after all.

Edited by BaronSaturday, 26 May 2015 - 05:16 AM.

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

No no, they do fall as they dash. I'll make a video and update this post.

As for the jumpads, they function. They could be still functioning tech from before the Crion incident. To be fair, in Origin it makes no sense for that to be the case. Or, mining opps were set up and jump pads were created to get from point a to point b.

As for the laws of inrtia, I give you stunt pilots who do any type of lomcovak or flat spin to face backwards and they do it at full speed. It's essentially taking your forward energey and almost immediately turning it into reverse energy.

Edit: There's nothing saying it can't have RCS thrusters the push down. It is an air compressor after all.

Oh yeah, very true about the jump-pads. Although that it still an if, but it's definitely a possibility.

I do not understand how what you said about the law of Inertia has much with what I described it about. Are you saying that the mechs are turning forward energy into reverse energy while they are side-dodging in the air? From what I know, stunt pilots use planes - vehicles that are meant for flying and can do tricks like the one you mentioned. I do not know how people can turn forward motion into reverse energy, but I think that it's due to them using their momentum or something. Also, what is reverse energy? Do you mean changing direction?

Also, I know that this is a bit late, but I am not accepting the whole Cavorite explanation anymore. If Cavorite was truly hard enough to not be damaged by literally hitting your mech's head into an wall, then I do not understand why we can take fall damage when we land on our feet - the body part that has the least amount of organs (if any) / important mechanical parts. Because fall damage is literally what banging your head on something is, just with a possible reduced velocity and on a more crucial part of the mech. 

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Oh yeah, very true about the jump-pads. Although that it still an if, but it's definitely a possibility.

I do not understand how what you said about the law of Inertia has much with what I described it about. Are you saying that the mechs are turning forward energy into reverse energy while they are side-dodging in the air? From what I know, stunt pilots use planes - vehicles that are meant for flying and can do tricks like the one you mentioned. I do not know how people can turn forward motion into reverse energy, but I think that it's due to them using their momentum or something. Also, what is reverse energy? Do you mean changing direction?

Also, I know that this is a bit late, but I am not accepting the whole Cavorite explanation anymore. If Cavorite was truly hard enough to not be damaged by literally hitting your mech's head into an wall, then I do not understand why we can take fall damage when we land on our feet - the body part that has the least amount of organs (if any) / important mechanical parts. Because fall damage is literally what banging your head on something is, just with a possible reduced velocity and on a more crucial part of the mech.

I can't argue your last point except that it's possibly damaging the hydraulics in some way? If they stop mid air all the joints are free to move pretty unrestricted where the hydraulics would have to stop the vehicle from colapsing.

As for the planes. In a flat spin, the plane basically tumbles. This would mean that the wings would be flat against the wall of air and then the plane would either continue to tumble through or some pilots actually stop and fly backwards before flat spinning back. The forces on the plane are way high. In some instances, falkerwolves for instance, are way outside of flight parameters and they survive just fine... Udually.

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

I can't argue your last point except that it's possibly damaging the hydraulics in some way? If they stop mid air all the joints are free to move pretty unrestricted where the hydraulics would have to stop the vehicle from colapsing.

As for the planes. In a flat spin, the plane basically tumbles. This would mean that the wings would be flat against the wall of air and then the plane would either continue to tumble through or some pilots actually stop and fly backwards before flat spinning back. The forces on the plane are way high. In some instances, falkerwolves for instance, are way outside of flight parameters and they survive just fine... Udually.

The joints are not as free as you may think, although I do not know all that much I admit. But imagine flying really fast in the air, the wind would be whipping against the mech and restricting the movement. Also, if hydralic's really stopped the mech from collapsing, why does fall damage your mech and not your mechs legs? I doubt that the force of the impact of the ground on the mech is enough for the legs to be destroyed, but I think that the true damage is dealt to the actual body of the mech.

I still do not understand how the different spins and the pressure that they have to deal with actually comes into effect with the Air Compressor. ^^; Could you please try and explain in a different way?

Niels

Niels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Air dodging completely cancels the vertical momentum, I just made a small video (sorry about the quality, aging computer) about it:

- first part is the behavior wrt jump pads

- second part (end) if behavior in free fall

It looks silly, and removes from the gameplay. I can't see any reason to keep this buggy behavior.

Edited by Niels, 26 May 2015 - 06:30 AM.

• Guns_N_Rozer likes this

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Aim better.

• Merl61, comic_sans, WillyW and 1 other like this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

-Physics stuff-

I suppose AC instantly canceling momentum would cause a lot of stress on the mech. Almost as much as instantly accelerating it to a velocity high enough to send it on a ballistic trajectory up the entire height of origin.

• Dawn_of_Ash, brackets and Epsilon_Knight like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Air Compressor should not cancel Grav lifts exist.

you make a mistake in title xD

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

peacecraftSLD

peacecraftSLD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

That is an exploit, it is not a glitch.  

I think if you were to remove this, it would really cripple the AC as well as why would I want to use a jump pad now? There is nothing safe when using a Jump Pad then. What are my options?

The AC adds options top your mech that it never had before. You can now make use of jumping in the air or falling from the air. This can help when trying to evade multiple enemy fire or even dodge Hell Fire Missiles. It just provides options in the air that you don't have normally.

These options are IMO are more risky than rewarding. You are wasting fuel for something that you can accomplish on the ground. You are risking that they can't hit you in the air. What happens when you run out of fuel? You can't run from the fight now so you better hope you can win now. The best I can do after wasting my fuel is pray and dodge on the ground that your aim is just as bad as when I was in the air.

I love using the AC. It's fun on my Assault and Vanguard. Its not a very good item on the Vanguard but its a lot of fun to dodge over an A class as a C class. I can just imagine the faces, brings a smile to my face.

If they made it so you can boost  at any time off the Jump Pad, would this still be an exploit?

Edited by peacecraftSLD, 26 May 2015 - 10:51 AM.

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Horsehead made it simple and pleasing to me:  AC shouldn't interrupt the vertical boost.  Completely makes sense from a physics standpoint and straightens out the whole debate.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users