Photo

Reasons for The Fall (and their relevance re: discussions on development)

* * * * * 6 votes

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

Undecided_Major

Undecided_Major

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

The stage is set for history to repeat itself. Its like poetry.

A new Titanfall game is on the horizon, sure to be the smash flavor of the month shooter that it was last time around. Once again HAWKEN is poised to directly compete within a similar time frame of a massively more popular game in a pathetic attempt to siphon off players that will again result in a long term marketing disaster. What a joke that HAWKEN is going to try to leech off of a franchise that is embarrassed about even having mechs in it.

I wish HAWKEN wasn't a good game so I could have a laugh instead of being disappointed.

• HHJFTRU likes this

HHJFTRU

HHJFTRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Yeah I simply can't understand how such a cool game can be in a state like this.

So unique, so beautiful (gfx needs optimization though), so good dynamics. The one and ONLY mech arena shooter, eh.

I just uninstalled (for the 3rd time).

P.S. I tried Titanfall last year and it made me puke. (n.b. smart pistol, pilots that kill mechs ...)

Ceterum censeo ... bootcamp-servers!  &:

#rapidMMR4newaccounts      #removethedelay

#morespeed4EOC                 #lessspread4T-32

#buffG2R                               #nerfZerk'n'Assault

#dosomethingwithHF             #noisesupression4breacher

THANKS FOR THIS AWESOME GAME!

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

I tried Titanfall too.  I wanted it to be the right game for me... but it was just another twitch shooter that added wall runs, jet-packs and mechs into the mix.  It didn't take long at all before I tired of the "I saw you first so you're dead/you saw me first so I'm dead." game-play and came running back to Hawken.

• Nightfirebolt and HHJFTRU like this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

HHJFTRU

HHJFTRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Titanfall is said to be pretty much dead for now, BTW.

Ceterum censeo ... bootcamp-servers!  &:

#rapidMMR4newaccounts      #removethedelay

#morespeed4EOC                 #lessspread4T-32

#buffG2R                               #nerfZerk'n'Assault

#dosomethingwithHF             #noisesupression4breacher

THANKS FOR THIS AWESOME GAME!

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

Titanfall is said to be pretty much dead for now, BTW.

Titanfall 2 will share the same fate. When it will be ded, ha?ken can dancing on titanfall 2 bones, ha-ha...

personaly, i think hawken gameplay now is more based on "reflexes" than pre-ascencion. in 2012 variant gameplay was more tactics. it is even now about positioning and much other things, but it need more reflex to play now, i think, it is not good cuz many players have some troubles with it. and all of this tricks with bunny hops and compressors... well, you know... it is just a nub-annihilator instrument. so, those are obvioulsy turn game into very elite way.

the second reason - mech. game with mechs is not popular, lol.

the third reason - no chicks in hawken (stupid layla does not count). just get rid thus stupid guy from hangar and replace him with girl-pilot and let ppl buy skins for thus girl. this automatically increase amount of players at least on one thousand players :3

Edited by nepacaka, 01 June 2016 - 04:32 PM.

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Yeah I simply can't understand how such a cool game can be in a state like this.
So unique, so beautiful (gfx needs optimization though), so good dynamics. The one and ONLY mech arena shooter, eh.
I just uninstalled (for the 3rd time).

P.S. I tried Titanfall last year and it made me puke. (n.b. smart pistol, pilots that kill mechs ...)

Shut your heretical mouth... Uninstall 3 times?!?! WE'RE NOT TAKING YOU BACK ! #feartheraiderosity2016

wmmoney.png

ATX22

ATX22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Titanfall 2 will share the same fate. When it will be ded, ha?ken can dancing on titanfall 2 bones, ha-ha...

personaly, i think hawken gameplay now is more based on "reflexes" than pre-ascencion. in 2012 variant gameplay was more tactics. it is even now about positioning and much other things, but it need more reflex to play now, i think, it is not good cuz many players have some troubles with it. and all of this tricks with bunny hops and compressors... well, you know... it is just a nub-annihilator instrument. so, those are obvioulsy turn game into very elite way.

the second reason - mech. game with mechs is not popular, lol.

the third reason - no chicks in hawken (stupid layla does not count). just get rid thus stupid guy from hangar and replace him with girl-pilot and let ppl buy skins for thus girl. this automatically increase amount of players at least on one thousand players :3

0001 "Old Hawken" flight was for simply getting from point A at a lower spot, to point B at a higher spot.  Trying to hover about while in a fight was basically choosing to make yourself one really slow moving / predictable target.  Hawken isn't super ballerina smash bros. mighty morphing mech zorps.. I really wish Reloaded would yank the air movement out of Hawken... but that'd piss off a lot... a few of the remaining people.

B.  Just call them tanks and people will flock over.. but yeah, mechs are too sci-fi for many, and not super mobile suit for others.

not quite 4. LOL, eye candy can't hurt, but Reloaded probably doesn't want to run intro trouble with the current SJW "thing" going on.  Still wouldn't be enough to keep people playing.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

I like that people have returned to making the exact points I refuted in the OP.

Edited by Nept: Ultra Lord of the God-Kings, 01 June 2016 - 07:53 PM.

• crockrocket likes this

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

I like that others are willing to frolic on the abandoned playground, bereft of hope but filled with aimless venom.

• Interrobang87 likes this

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

I like that others are willing to frolic on the abandoned playground, bereft of hope but filled with aimless venom.

Most poetic post 2016.

• Elite_is_salty, Rajitha, comic_sans and 3 others like this

Chickin

Chickin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Too bad there are no Hawken poetry badges.

• DerMax and Pelanthoris like this

chickin.png

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Yeah hawken should keep air movement BUT add an underwater level.  Where the mechs move super slow and make explosions of bubbles.  You can make bubble smokescreens for more immersion and to add strategy/tactics.

The marines fight on land sea and air.  We already have land and air.  If you add the sea part you'll gain tons of former US marines to the playerbase.

• coldform, Nept, Kindos7 and 2 others like this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

remove repairing,

or remove technicians and repair orbs together

healers kill SHOOTER games...

• harmless_kittens likes this

o0m9

o0m9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

remove repairing,

I'm going to disagree with you on removing healing orbs and self-repair. Repair orbs help cut down on vulture behavior and self-repair is a great balance between regenerating health and not being able to recover at all. 

I do agree with removing the technician and consumable repair orb, though. The tech doesn't fit and the repair orb is too good to not take.

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

I'm going to disagree with you on removing healing orbs and self-repair. Repair orbs help cut down on vulture behavior and self-repair is a great balance between regenerating health and not being able to recover at all. 

I do agree with removing the technician and consumable repair orb, though. The tech doesn't fit and the repair orb is too good to not take.

While I'd be ok with removing the item orb, I don't think vulture behavior is a bad thing.

Actually to avoid that you have to stick together. Which is what you should do in this game. Like not only stick together until the kill is done and then run after the next enemy, but actually protect your buddy while he's repairing.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Hmm. I feel like they should be there, but tech shouldn't have the ability to repair team mates. Maybe move that to its special ability, and keep the vampire beam.

Also, reduce the amount of health available from orbs, both item,and robosouls.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

remove repairing,

It's 2016, a modern shooter without a healing mechanic is Doomed. Hell, even Doom has a self healing mechanic.

Orbs and technician, I can live without.

No crew

o0m9

o0m9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

It's 2016, a modern shooter without a healing mechanic is Doomed. Hell, even Doom has a self healing mechanic.

Orbs and technician, I can live without.

I can't recall a single first person shooter that doesn't come with some sort of healing mechanic besides Counterstrike. Even the original Doom and Wolfenstien had pick-ups. 

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

I liked the pickups a whole damn lot more than the stupid 'auto-heal' thing where all you have to do is stand behind cover for a few seconds and you're good.  When Modern Warfare introduced that, then became the best selling game of all time (to date)... I knew we were doomed.  Way to promote camping and cowardly game-play!

I am pretty much okay with the idea of having to leave yourself vulnerable to do something that actually equates to 'healing' yourself.  Even in FarCry 2 and forward, I was upset that they copped out and got rid of the health packs... but the way they have you need to kneel down and then wait for a complicated animation of pulling out a bullet or splinting a broken arm, etc., was acceptable.  But just having your character heal by magic... just by not getting shot for a few seconds is asinine.

Edited by StubbornPuppet, 02 June 2016 - 12:03 PM.

LU0P10

LU0P10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Who said technician is gonna be removed... whaaat  :thumbsup: (oh it was me day-dreaming)

It would absolutely great to see the data how many thousands players stopped playing Hawken when the Tech was introduced to this game (=killed the game).

Edited by LU0P10, 02 June 2016 - 12:14 PM.

harmless_kittens

harmless_kittens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Who said technician is gonna be removed... whaaat  :thumbsup: (oh it was me day-dreaming)

It would absolutely great to see the data how many thousands players stopped playing Hawken when the Tech was introduced to this game (=killed the game).

I quit matches now that have the tech-heavy combo.  Yeah that's probably bad, but its just not fun for me anymore (and usually a very lopsided match also).

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

I quit matches now that have the tech-heavy combo.  Yeah that's probably bad, but its just not fun for me anymore (and usually a very lopsided match also).

Still, I use to stay plus keeping yelling at my team mates when they do not perform well enough... mostly kidding here.. mostly

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I like that people have returned to making the exact points I refuted in the OP.

What, you want people to actually read?!

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 02 June 2016 - 01:11 PM.

• Nept likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Yeah hawken should keep air movement BUT add an underwater level. Where the mechs move super slow and make explosions of bubbles. You can make bubble smokescreens for more immersion and to add strategy/tactics.

The marines fight on land sea and air. We already have land and air. If you add the sea part you'll gain tons of former US marines to the playerbase.

Once a Marine, always a Marine.

(I was a soldier and an airman, not a marine)

Edited by Lunatic, 02 June 2016 - 01:59 PM.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Welp, the thread's being necro'd. Time to start shitposting.  

If your point was that a genre that no longer gets major releases is not a considerable portion of the market, that probably would have been a better thing to say than "always been niche"

*Edit* Also, I never said that arena shooters have "always been niche".  I said that arena shooters "have never enjoyed massive audiences".  I also took the time to explain the truth of that statement in the previous reply.  If you're going to play at semantics and quoting, at least get the wording right.

Christ.

Even more than one year later, this last exchange continues to make me giggle.  And he hasn't made a single post since that fateful day.

Nept points out bumblebee's improper use of semantics in an argument...

IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!!!

**beetard is defeated**

Edited by Xacius, 02 June 2016 - 09:13 PM.

• Nept likes this

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I can't believe people are so short sighted that they can't find a way to work with techs in the game, and suggest that they broke the game and must be removed.

If orb-sucking is the meta, then Reloaded can adjust down the absorb amount and rate until it gets to a nice middle ground.

People don't leave because of the tech.

They leave because it is part of a combo that is difficult to overcome without very good teamwork.

Add a countering strategy. Add an anti-repair charge to neutralize orb-suckers and combo with pocket tech.

#HawkenNeedsMoreItems

• Pandabaron likes this

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Oh, come on now.  Techs, even with a heavy and coordination, aren't that hard to defeat and/or overcome.  I wonder if people aren't just equating "too hard" and "unbalancing" to "Someone has to lose a life to break it up".

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Randim advice:

Create an alt, learn to get good breaking up tech-heavy combos and deathballs by the fine art of yolodiving, get called a smurf along the way, profit.
  • 6ixxer likes this

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

o0m9

o0m9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I just don't like the gameplay techs promote. A buddy system is great, but I don't like the heavy/medic dynamic in a game like Hawken. 

Even removing the healing beam and buffing the vamp would be fine with me. I just don't like healing rays. 

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

First of all, just to say that the gameplay of this game is unique, the visuals are cool and the inherent potential is there waiting for upcoming moves from Reload

Once said that and if this is about tech/s+HEavy/s combo/s then I'd suggest something like proportionally decrease the healing beam effectivity (by time) for Cs and Bs (fairly and proportionally). A Class mechs might remain the same healing rate, as is now. To finish the suggestion, activating the Special Ability of the Tech might make it heal all mechs with the same rate -effectivity/time. Just and idea though.. but I honestly think that could work well as one first step forward to improve the problem..

On the other hand, the Incin does need a rebalancing (already discussed on these forums -I made several serious suggestions on this other matter too)

Just my 2,5 extra cents

Edit:

I can't believe people are so short sighted that they can't find a way to work with techs in the game, and suggest that they broke the game and must be removed.

If orb-sucking is the meta, then Reloaded can adjust down the absorb amount and rate until it gets to a nice middle ground.

They leave because it is part of a combo that is difficult to overcome without very good teamwork.

Add a countering strategy. Add an anti-repair charge to neutralize orb-suckers and combo with pocket tech.

#HawkenNeedsMoreItems

That possibility -and, IMHO, only in case it does not cancel normal repairs- might be an interesting concept worth to be explored as well

Edited by The_Silencer, 03 June 2016 - 02:41 PM.

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

#HawkenNeedsMoreItems

My problem with the tech is that it tends to ruin pubs, lest the other team conforms to the same composition.  If there's a tech on one team and not on the other, it becomes woefully apparent rather quickly.  What was once a killable B-class is now a C+++ class, assuming the tech knows how to avoid burst damage and stick near its buddy.  The nature of the class is also inherently team-constrained.  The healbot role is the most effective way to play the class, so that's how it's normally played.  When the tech enters the playing field, players are more encouraged to work with it rather than yolodiving or going solo, thereby encouraging that team to work together more by nature of mech composition alone.  This behavior isn't mimicked with any other class combination; only the Tech requires teamplay to function.  Unless the tech-less team is communicating properly--something extremely difficult without VoIP--they're almost always at a disadvantage.  I've experienced a lot of gameplay in Hawken, both before and after the tech patch.  Imo, pubs played better before the healbot was introduced, even after all of its balance adjustments.  Just my two cents.  

If you want a picture of my fuzzy bunny, just pm me.  Nothing quite gets me going like being up in a Northern Michigan cabin with a bunch of men.  

• 1uster and Superkamikazee like this

LU0P10

LU0P10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

#HawkenNeedsMoreItems

I can't believe how narcissistic some tech players really can be. How is it so hard to see what a dreadful things mech did to a game. This is why I asked earlier the hard data how many players left once the Tech broke loose (early 2013/-4?, can't even remember for sure the year when it was). 

That is, I believe known fact, the tech really broke the game... couldn't have been more imbalanced when it came out, lets forget that ok lol.  And after all the balancing tries I just cannot dislike more what it did to match/gameplay dynamics. Xacius said valid points too... but no... no main-tech -players, not once couldn't admit those points. They are like: "I don't care, I want to play this mech, don't care if it brakes the game and everyone else feels miserable". GG Hawken...  

A round of mech shooter shouldn't revolve around one mech. Gaming should have all the freedom and complexity as humanly possible. Now it is still - drop everything you were doing when tech arrives and deal with it first and then carry on. I fuzzy bunnyng hate it... game shouldn't be (and wasn't before) How-To-Deal-With/Around-The Tech- game.  Balancing a tech won't cure cancer... removal of tumour(=Tech) might cure the cancer ;)

You are saying... people are not leaving/uninstalling the game because of the tech... maybe not - anymore. There is virtually no players to left anymore, only zombies sticking with this dead game. 

Hawken - the game at its peak before the tech IMO, had so fuzzy bunnyng amazing gameplay before the tech... all the microplays, different strategies, complexity, all the little counter-strategies, dancing duels... now just deathballing... deal with the tech... = dead game, no playerbase. 

And before you say anything... playerbase with few hundred players is not alive, really.

All this game needed to be perfect, at it's state before the Tech, just a bit more speed all around. Healtpool was quite right back then, except A-mechs had just a tad too much HP.  Everything was fine... for me even the graphics were fine too... I preferred gloomier and darker atmosphere.

Was it nepacaka(?) who said earlier in this thread, a mech shooter is a niche game, no one wants to play mech shooter. So why is that Hawken must have had hundred of thousands active players and the future looked amazing and very bright for Hawken once... then next thing happens, Adhesive dropped the Tech bomb...

...simple as that, I blame the Tech for Hawken's downfall. I might be wrong (don't think so)... nonetheless I WILL always blame the Tech for Hawken's current state... ultimately Adhesive's fault ofc. I truly believe this game might have grown even a lot bigger game from its peak.

...so logically - I'll always ask for Tech removal from this game... because I want to the game to flourish.  

This was just my honest opinion... I know, I have repeated this opinion on these forums too many times.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted this bit before, but still relevant:

Although previous tech iterations were blatently unbalanced, what we have now isn't bad.  A decent player can handle a tech'd opponent by targeting either the tech or the player being healed.  You might not get the kill, but you will push them back - provided you're hitting your shots.  The tech's green beam ability comprises the only exception.  Even then, though, you'll be fine provided you focus the tech.

In competitive play, the tech's not an issue.  However, in pubs it can further skew an already unbalanced match.  And  I think that's what you're noticing, tbh.  Not an unbalanced mech, but a mech whose playstyle further unbalances the games already suffering from low-population matchmaking.

One further note: I agree that there's too much healing within Hawken.  We've worked around that issue by banning certain internals during competitive play, but the problems within pubs continue.

Pandabaron

Pandabaron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

My biggest gripe with the tech is just how many points it scores.

You want to kill a tech, choose a raider, it's enjoyable! 

... also change uptown... Please dear god change uptown.. 

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

https://community.pl...l-hawken-corner- For your hawken musical needs

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Chicken_gun

chickengune2.jpg

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
I personally also believe that tech should be "less team heals, more vamp beam".
I have posted it before but omitted from this thread.

But the main point from my post was:
People are shortsighted if they can't come up with ideas to keep the tech.
Too hard = delete from game.
Techs heal too much = delete
Orbs heal too much = delete (or explode lol)

If its broken > try fixing it!
Adhesive had a go, but its not quite there. They only just released the PN-223 before going dark for fuzzy bunny sake, there's still lots of room for improvement. Reloaded is still working behind the scenes, and they need to at least get out their first set of balance changes before people cry about deleting things.

LU0P10

LU0P10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

People are shortsighted if they can't come up with ideas to keep the tech.

I have made suggestions to improve the Tech.... and this thread wasn't about it...

...shortsighted shortsighted... your favourite word eh...

• Xacius likes this

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

I have made suggestions to improve the Tech.... and this thread wasn't about it...

...shortsighted shortsighted... your favourite word eh...

fuzzy bunnyng rekt m8

Pumapaw

Pumapaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Hawken could become a good team arena game if maps were a bit larger. And they included clan match games. Oh well.

talon70

talon70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Hawken could become a good team arena game if maps were a bit larger. And they included clan match games. Oh well.

Or if players didn't leave crying every time they are getting beat. Oh well.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users