• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Currently, the shock coil is a 1-slot internal which provides a 100% reduction to fall damage.

In the planned update to Hawken, the advanced shock coil is a 3-slot internal which provides a 100% reduction to fall damage (the 1-slot version provides a 33% reduction and the 2-slot version provides a 66% reduction). This change is unnecessary.

Fall damage is insignificant and easily avoided. If you press jump or air-dodge before you hit the ground and you've successfully avoided 100% of the damage. If you don't, fall damage is low enough that it can generally be ignored. 

The shock coil's main benefit is staying off radar when moving around the map. Instead of using fuel to jump or air-dodge which puts you on radar, with the shock coil you can avoid the fall damage without revealing your position on radar. Even then, this benefit is niche and highly map-dependent. On maps with large vertical drops (e.g. Origin) it can be beneficial, whereas on maps which are very flat (e.g. Bazaar) it can be useless.

Making the shock coil a 3-slot internal changes if from niche to bad. The 1 and 2-slot versions are useless because you still need to appear on radar to avoid all fall damage. The 3-slot shock coil simply doesn't have enough impact to make it worthwhile compared to other options available; I don't think I would even use it on the predator. 

Edited by brackets, 25 February 2017 - 06:01 PM.

• Draigun, XPloyt, Nept and 16 others like this

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

3 slots just for shock coil ? Dman that sounds silly. It's really limited in it's utility just like you said, that change would make it effectively useless because no one would waste 3 slots for a 1 slot item.

• Miscellaneous, EM1O and DeeRax like this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Shock coil sucks as a one slot lol. Why would they make it a 3 slot.....

• XPloyt, Meraple, EM1O and 2 others like this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

a 100% damage reduction shock coil, to me, is an essential part to a Predator's stealth kit.  Making it a 3 slot internal severely limits the subsequent options available to the Predator given Shock coil's relevance to its playstyle. It's a waste of slots and a poor balance decision.

• coldform, crockrocket, Miscellaneous and 7 others like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
put Shock coil back to one slot.

Make 3 slot a pogo stick :P
  • -Tj- and Pulcinella like this

thedark20

thedark20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

I'm not surprised by that. After all they limited mechs with a progression tree and made G2 variants the exact same mech with better stats in the console release.

Shock coil is limited to the pred to not break his ability, that's pretty much it. Why would i equip an internal to not take like 20 dmg on landing when i can easily tap jump to land smoothly and recover quickly from the fall?

Steel

Steel everywhere~

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Unnecessary nerf to pred. Shock coil is already irrelevant on 95% of builds.

• EM1O likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Zavier_

Zavier_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Not active on forums but do they even take internal ideas from vets?

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Not active on forums but do they even take internal ideas from vets?

There were changes made to extractor and repair kit on console based on feedback from the community.

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Maybe change all versions of Shock Coil to 100% fall damage reduction and instead put the focus on walking sound reduction.

No shock coil - audible up to 60 m

1-slotter - audible up to 45 m

2-slotter - audible up to 30 m

3-slotter - audible up to 15 m

Each slot investment gives relatively more benefit than the previous.

1-slotter for just getting the fall damage reduction and a slight improvement in being able to sneak around. Guys camping corners will still be able to get a good one on you.

2-slotter gives you really good sneaking ability in most maps and situations. 

3-slotter might be overkill but ensures that you won't be heard unless in typical splash damage range.

• Miscellaneous, Meraple, LaurenEmily and 1 other like this

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

1-slot SC. - 100% faling damage reduction
2-slot SC. - 100% faling damage reduction, decrease stun-time after falling on 50% (or maybe even 90%)
3-slot SC. - delete this nonsense from game. who in right mind equip this on mech?

• Miscellaneous, Meraple, Amidatelion and 2 others like this

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

to devs:  i recommend you canvas us (although we may be only 1-5% of active pop) over a couple weeks here, twitter, reddit, and Steam, mention your diddling with SC, and determine how many main Pred, or at least enjoy driving it occasionally--i'll bet it isn't many, but i'd wager what the response to be.  i use the shock on infil also, but i tend to main vanguard, so it's getting an immediate drop from my internals should this happen.  if you have concocted a scheme to justify the elimination of a "seldom or never-used internal" in a future rework, this makes it way too obvious.  even with half a mil HC, i'll not buy this--in any form or fashion.

bad move RLD, and not even remotely clandestine. 

edit:  actually post a survey with for/against your intended changes to various extant parts of hawken.  it might save you from another APB cemetery and that final "we told you so" from them.  i recall how suddently my gut hurt when i saw Hawken, 505 games, gamersfirst, and reloaded for the first time, all in the same sentence. :yucky:

you don't need the media forums i mentioned to load up with "this is how RLD is totally wrecking Hawken" BEFORE the release. 

make careful consideration of radical changes to things we cherish just as they are: if anything improve them.

otherwise: negative street rep/bad JuJu.

just thot i give my tuppence.

Edited by EM1O, 26 February 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

2-slot SC. - 100% faling damage reduction, decrease stun-time after falling on 50% (or maybe even 90%)
3-slot SC. - delete this nonsense from game. who in right mind equip this on mech?

OK ur my fave again
  • Miscellaneous, LaurenEmily, nepacaka and 1 other like this

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

For 3 slot it could add some AOE damage that scales off height fallen.

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

For 3 slot it could add some AOE damage that scales off height fallen.

If this were to be implemented, it should definitely have some sort of distance you have to fall before it deals any damage.

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

I don't usually comment on things I consider no-brainer's but considering game developers use feedback to make decisions I'm going to wholeheartedly agree that this change (nerf) to the shock-coil is completely unecessary. 

At the very least keep the 100% reduction at a 1 slot level and either add a tradeoff with it and reduce that and or add benefits when creating any possible advanced versions of the internal. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: internals, shock coil

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users