122 replies to this topic

CZeroFive

CZeroFive

Hawken Dev

• Hawken Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Hello, Pilots!

It is time for another developer blog - and boy, do we have some good stuff for you!

First, I would like to announce that the PC update is pretty darn close - but not quite ready. We’ve been doing internal testing with select community members behind closed doors, and that testing has proven to be really, really, really fantastic - we’ve found bugs that we would have never found in a thousand years thanks to your help. We are eternally grateful for the community’s contribution to Hawken. We have come to the general consensus that the PC build still needs a slight bit of polish, and we’re working hard on polish items that we deem appropriate for the PC relaunch.

We still plan on launching the PC update within this month, however the date is fuzzy (and not of the bunnies kind).
We do not intend to change the date from this month.
There’s a 33.33333% chance (repeating, of course) that it will be sooner, later, or on time.

We would like to also mention pre-emptively that you may want to stop using custom configurations when we launch the big PC update. You won’t get in trouble if you use these however, you may experience issues on launch day with any settings that are in your configuration files from community configurations as a lot of the settings are crash happy. We have been working with the community to fix a few of them, but in the slight chance you use a custom config and experience crashes, that’s likely the cause.

We plan on removing the PS4 and XB1 forum logins today. The goal is to have players only using a PlayHawken account to post on the forums. As you may have noticed, the XB1/PS4 forums are merged into the general populace, and we want to hear from everyone equally in our fantastic community.

Now that we’ve explained what we are doing with the PC update (probably the whole reason you read this post, arguably) it’s time for some good ol’ fashioned previews.

The UI Revamp

You heard that right - that seafoam green tint is going away, and is being replaced with a nice blue that’s better on the eyes, better on your PC’s CPU/GPU, and just in general better.

Additionally, the featured screen has been revamped. The tiles are in a better spot, and generally more readable. The background cinematic of the garage has returned.

The Mech Grid is now the default UI element instead of the Mech Web. This is going to coincide with a change which we will explain later in this post.

Here’s a few screenshots of the UI:

VXTiWRj.jpg

JlDsPq2.jpg

6JV6kZL.jpg

Ranked PVP + Competitive Ranking Leaderboard

Upon logging into HAWKEN for the first time after the update, you will see an icon in the top right, near your XP, Emblem, and Pilot Ranking. This will remain greyed out until you play a PvP match and earn a Seasonal Placement Rating. This rating will replace your general matchmaking rating for the duration of the season.

SDbwkZh.jpg

Upon completion of that first match, you will be ranked among all other HAWKEN players. There are quite a few tiers that you can eventually rank up to based on your performance in matches.

7H7OQaY.jpg

You will obtain rewards for competing in a season - it’s not just for sport!

An emblem is available for participating in Ranked PVP Season 1, and there are additionally end of season rewards that you will be able to obtain for placing high in ranking. Who knows what that reward might be?

8xCgvqm.jpg

First Time Player Experience

We have made a ton of adjustments to the experience when you first log into the game. You’ll be greeted by a familiar face named Laila. She’s taken some time off from the VR Training to spend some time with the newer pilots. We’ve provided helpful dialog, tips, additional pro-tips and other goodies for new players when they first get into the game (Free Vanguard anyone?).

In addition to this, new players should find it easier to get in the game and start playing. We’ve removed the match countdown timer and now instantly spawn new players in their Mech where they are bombarded with cool information about how to pilot it.

There’s also something really cool in the pre-match area for all game modes, but we’re not going to spoil it…

HDR Tone-Mapping and new Visual FX
We have implemented HDR into HAWKEN! The game should, in general, look better and feel better. It should feel more vibrant in light areas, and you should see some more detail in darker areas. There’s also some new bullet effects for hitscan weapons, which are really rad too!

F4PFskt.jpg

Co-Op Team Deathmatch adjustments
Have you ever experienced someone just not readying up for a game, standing there AFK? We have also hated that! Co-Op Team Deathmatch games will now start automatically when a player joins, and begin the ‘blue forcefield’ state immediately. No more waiting; just fun!

Quickmatch + G1 Mech Experience/HC Boosts
Every day, experience a new gamemode with the Quickmatch functionality, which provides a boost to experience or HC. The Quickmatch bonus changes daily, so be sure to check it out!

G1 Mechs additionally gain bonuses to HC and/or XP. This is for those die-hards who want to impress corporations for extra payouts. G2s are still locked by progressing the G1s.

All The G1 Mechs Bundle (!!!)
Coming sometime after this content update launches. You will be able to get this bundle and receive EVERY SINGLE G1 Mech, current and future. This does not include the G2 variants of the Mechs. Bundle price to be determined.

Bugfixes, Adjustments, and Tweaks:

• Thrust Vectoring and various movement speed abilities are now working again that were once broken. (such as the Raider’s ability. Better get ready to go fast again!)
  • Armor Fusor has experienced a considerable nerf to the percentage based values which puts it more in line with the PC version of Armor Fusor.
  • Power Surger has experienced a buff by converting it to a percentage value, and now applies to run, boost, and dodge speed.
  • There is now a “Dead Zone” slider. This allows console (or controller users in general) to adjust the ‘deadzone’ of the controller. (0-40, defaults to 20)
  • Stats should sync without as much music hitching.
  • Mech corpses last a little bit longer before despawning.
  • Music playback should be cleaner during stats syncing, map loading, and map changing.

Lastly

We’re really, really excited to bring this update out to all of our Hawken players. We’re also excited to end a 2 year drought of no new content for the PC players.

We have a lot more content on the way, and the future for Hawken looks incredible.

Feature parity is important for us.  However, the PC build will generally receive updates before console builds.  Console releases need to be spaced out a little more than the PC releases, partly due to the patch size and release certification testing requirements and partly due to the fact that we can iterate faster with the PC build - we want to take advantage of that since it will benefit all platforms.

This will be the last update where console comes before PC. And we’re really excited about that.

We know that ‘2017 Will Be a Great Year for Hawken’, and we promise to deliver on that. See you on the battlefield, pilots!

-Hawken Development

• diablo878, FRX23, dorobo and 45 others like this

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
Seems good

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

So is the new PvP rating mechanically mostly the same as the old MMR system? Totally different? TBD? Or is the PvP rating visible to players just an obfuscation of (roughly) the same system?

• Amidatelion likes this

oFFOtRH.jpg

High Tier Cabal (Noun): A group of people who used to play Hawken.  

CZeroFive

CZeroFive

Hawken Dev

• Hawken Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

So is the new PvP rating mechanically mostly the same as the old MMR system? Totally different? TBD? Or is the PvP rating visible to players just an obfuscation of (roughly) the same system?

Pretty much, it's the old MMR system, but with no artificial inflation at the beginning. Overall values will be lower as a result. PvP rating will be visible to everyone on the leaderboard, and it will reset seasonally.

• crockrocket, Guns_N_Rozer, Miscellaneous and 7 others like this

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Neat.  This all sounds really neat.  Thank you.

4wBdPaU.jpg

Broham78

Broham78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

It looks great. Good riddance to that green.

wGoUz2B.gif

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

This is awesome. The UI, especially is a big improvement over the original console iteration. But there are a few questions I have.

1) Can you reveal any plans for the G2 mechs(i.e. balance compared to G1 mechs)? 

2) Are there any differences in particular between the current, PC garage system; and the system that we'll be getting in this update? 

• Miscellaneous and wischatesjesus like this

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Pretty much, it's the old MMR system, but with no artificial inflation at the beginning. Overall values will be lower as a result. PvP rating will be visible to everyone on the leaderboard, and it will reset seasonally.

As a follow up, it looks like all PvP is ranked together with no separate ranked queue. Is this correct?

oFFOtRH.jpg

DingdongJR

DingdongJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Are you ready for a fuzzy bunny miracle!! Yeaaaaaaaaaaa!

Edited by DingdongJR, 16 May 2017 - 10:24 AM.

• diablo878, dorobo, Miscellaneous and 3 others like this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

So it's just public MMR with a badge.

Great.

• claisolais likes this

GMKGoat

GMKGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Cautiously optimistic

• dorobo and claisolais like this

Sp3ctrr

Sp3ctrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

...a 33.33333% chance...that it will be sooner, later...

"SOONER"

AAAAAAAA.png

• dorobo, Miscellaneous, SparkyJJC and 1 other like this

Welcome_To_The_Enclave.png

Spoiler

KamikazeCommando

KamikazeCommando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

It's nice to see an announcement of upcoming updates- 'this month' makes a change over 'soon'. I might have to start playing again, it's been about 6 months since I've touched Hawken...

• Nachoeslach likes this

( Insert witty signature here )

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Ui looks much nicer

Spoiler

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts
Sound good

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

Liederkranz

Liederkranz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I like the UI revamp. I don't like the console UI atm but this one is acceptable. "Public MMR" to call it something, is good too. I'd love to see an in-game server browser with the richness of info Heroku has.

Kudos! This restarts the hype train (or at least it speeds it up a bit).

• Nachoeslach likes this

Cybrex: Predators hunt from above.

MessyBopzz: like jesus?

Cybrex: Better than jesus

xaW8OWj.png

HWGNjmo.png  LUAERYM.png  KVKGZ2j.png  nCDGAWz.png  HWGNjmo.png

Rugsty

Rugsty

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the info, I'm glad to see there's something still going on with this game.

William_Adama

William_Adama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

just wait till new players see how utter garbage the servers are when they come the first time I'm they will stay hahaha. I'm going to assume that hawken is going to be at E3 this year the month is  perfect for the update it will give you some head way to get things working  unlike the console release. leader board sucks but I guess for those who like that type of stuff I just want to play on a decent dam server if its too much to ask. every thing else looks good from the pictures above.

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

just wait till new players see how utter garbage the servers are when they come the first time I'm they will stay hahaha. I'm going to assume that hawken is going to be at E3 this year the month is  perfect for the update it will give you some head way to get things working  unlike the console release. leader board sucks but I guess for those who like that type of stuff I just want to play on a decent dam server if its too much to ask. every thing else looks good from the pictures above.

Hawken's servers are still better than R6S.

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

TheFrostnessMonster

TheFrostnessMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Looks better than the last time I played (over a year ago), but good work, I'll probably have to hop on once the update goes live.

CRT master race... No questions allowed.

Period.

William_Adama

William_Adama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

no dallas, they had east coast servers option  I had ping of 4 or less I've never seen such good servers.

BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Hmm... I'm glad there's going to be an update. Immensely glad.

But am I the only one who thinks the old (PC only) UI looks far better and is more fitting of the style of game than this new one is?

• monochr0me, sabrehawk90, Bergwein and 2 others like this

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

"custom configurations " Something like plastic Hawken or customized resolution? I recall that I did made a change on the "detail" line..

update: Why so much emphasize on competitive PVPs? Somehow I feel like it kills general public faster. 

Edited by claisolais, 16 May 2017 - 01:59 PM.

Ic6j9zJ.png

CZeroFive

CZeroFive

Hawken Dev

• Hawken Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

As a follow up, it looks like all PvP is ranked together with no separate ranked queue. Is this correct?

This is correct.

"custom configurations " Something like plastic Hawken or customized resolution? I recall that I did made a change on the "detail" line..

Plastic Hawken works with some tweaks.

The game, in general, should support custom resolutions better.

• claisolais and Charcoal like this

Kindos7

Kindos7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

We still plan on launching the PC update within this month, however the date is fuzzy (and not of the bunnies kind).
We do not intend to change the date from this month.

2018 is going to be a great year for Howken.
  • crockrocket, Miscellaneous, SparkyJJC and 4 others like this

"Go pro, it's worth it"

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

The game, in general, should support custom resolutions better.

Probably a long shot, but any chance this "better support" includes triple-wide resolutions (i.e. 5760x1080)?  

• LRod and Charcoal like this

4wBdPaU.jpg

Ezodev

Ezodev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

What about performance? Will it be better than now?

Edited by Ezodev, 16 May 2017 - 01:26 PM.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Big UI improvement.  Nice work.

• Miscellaneous, nepacaka and MCX_TheRockMachine like this

bu113n

bu113n

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

what is happening with the Xbox update cant login

TangledMantis

TangledMantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

With the new rating system you said that after the first match following the update, we will get a rating that 'sticks' with us for the season. 

What if we have a really bad match and get get lumped in with a really low rating? Does that mean I have to wait until the next season to get to play with higher tier players again? Or is that rating actually dynamic?

CZeroFive

CZeroFive

Hawken Dev

• Hawken Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

what is happening with the Xbox update cant login

We're still bringing the servers back online. See: news and announcements.

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Power Surger has experienced a buff by converting it to a percentage value, and now applies to run, boost, and dodge speed.

WEE-HOO!

• dorobo, Miscellaneous, Arkhaun and 1 other like this

Chaplain5

Chaplain5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

:yes:

You done good Hawken team. You done good.

In other news:

LIEK OMG THIS IS AWESOME!!!1!111!

This signature is under construct

Etherealrich

Etherealrich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Will the new update affect performance on systems, fps etc? Just wondering as my performance is already pretty poor :D 

thanks

JBunch

JBunch

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Appreciate the hard work. Can we get an estimate when the XB1 servers will be back online? I checked news and announcements and its been a while since an update.

Darth_Jupiter

Darth_Jupiter

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I really do enjoy the current look of the "main menu" ui, where you have all these bits of metal and bits and bobs and the green and the grids... it just speaks to me thematically. - the new ui screenshots seem so sparse and bland.. i really dont like it.

also there's nothing wrong with seafoam green :C

• Bad_BennyAK likes this

Neraste

Neraste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Can't wait to see this update live!

hkn_sign_mdh_by_neraste-d8oyzgq.pnghkn_sign_lgbt_by_neraste-d8oyzga.png

wischatesjesus

wischatesjesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Probably a long shot, but any chance this "better support" includes triple-wide resolutions (i.e. 5760x1080)?  

Well 5760x1080 already sorta works, its just not very clean.

• TURDxSANDWICH likes this

oFFOtRH.jpg

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

no dallas, they had east coast servers option  I had ping of 4 or less I've never seen such good servers.

7f2.jpg

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

I have a question. c05, you say:

There’s also some new bullet effects for hitscan weapons, which are really rad too!

does it mean, that you return a "smoke-trail" effect from 2012 hawken?
to be honest i don't know how this effect called, but u understand me, these cool smokes when you shot from AR, SMC and other guns. it was a very cool stuff before...i don't know why previous devs delete it from game with ascension patch (T_T)

Edited by nepacaka, 16 May 2017 - 03:33 PM.

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users